Topic: Possible bug (or by design) with mobile browsers

When I view my created galleries in my iPad mini the corners of the pictures are cropped, including the picture text.  This behaivor is observed in Safari, but not Chrome.  On my iPhone the pictures are again cropped slightly, however the text does not show up.  The cropped pictures appear when you're viewing a photo with its orientation that matches how you are holding the phone, i.e. landscape & landscape.  The behaivor is observed in both Safari & Chrome.

Is this behavior normal or not?  If not, I can try and take a few screen captures to illustrate what I'm talking about.

Thanks
Josh

Re: Possible bug (or by design) with mobile browsers

Assuming the entire gallery is visible within your browser window, images should not be cropped by the Mobile Player.

Please make sure that you are using the most recent version of SimpleViewer (v2.3.2) to ensure that any bugs which were present in previous versions but which have since been fixed are not contributing to your problem.
If necessary, instructions for Upgrading SimpleViewer-Pro can be found here.

If you continue to experience difficulties, please post the URL to your gallery so that I can take a look and help further.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Steven,

Thanks for the reply.  I just upgraded to the latest version and will update the galleries and see if that fixes things.  I'll post back with what I find.

Josh

Steven,

EDIT:  Out of dumb luck or chance I just happened to check things again after typing up my post and the problem doesn't appear to be happening any more.  I'm not sure if the browser was holding onto the old files, but I believe things appear to be corrected with the new version of simpleviewer.  I'm going to leave my original post there if you'd like to review and comment.  If I want to update all my galleries with the new version, I'd just want to copy the new svcore folder to them correct?  Do you have any suggestions on how to do this in a "bulk" find and replace method?

Thanks!
Josh

Sorry for hiatus in replying.  I updated one of the galleries to see if the problem is still there and it is.  I've taken screen caps and will try to explain further what is happening.

When viewing the gallery index, if I click on an image it will bring it up, the label will be on the bottom left and the picture number on the bottom right.  The example below shows this:

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar … creen1.jpg

When I rotate the phone to the horizontal the picture is cropped and the text labels disappear.

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar … creen2.jpg

Then when I rotate it back to the vertical the entire picture is viewable again, but the text is missing.

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar … creen3.jpg

Here is the gallery with the latest version of simpleviewer

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar … /combmeter

EDIT:  Here is a gallery with a previous version of simpleviewer that appears to still have the issue.

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar … meterswap/

Ok, so the plot thickens.

The previous screen captures and test I was using my iphone.  I was browsing the galleries on my ipad mini and the text at the bottom is still slightly cut off in the horizontal position.  When I rotate the device back to a vertical orientation, everything is ok.

Here is a screen capture of the vertical orientation:

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar … creen4.jpg

Here is a screen capture of the horizontal orientation (notice the chopped off text at the bottom corners):

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar … creen5.jpg

Josh

If I want to update all my galleries with the new version, I'd just want to copy the new svcore folder to them correct?

That is correct. You can upgrade a gallery by just replacing its 'svcore' folder with a new version.

Do you have any suggestions on how to do this in a "bulk" find and replace method?

It would be possible to write a script in a server-side scripting language (such as PHP) to search recursively through the directories on your web server and replace all 'svcore' folders but, as far as I am aware, no-one has written such a script specifically for SimpleViewer.
A user has written a script in Python to update 'jbcore' folders on a web server for Juicebox galleries. Perhaps you could adapt it for use with SimpleViewer. (The principle is the same, just the name of the folder will change from 'jbcore' to 'svcore'.)
The script can be found in this forum post.
Please note that this script is not an official solution and use of it is entirely at your own risk. I would advise that before using it, you make a full backup of your web site, just in case anything goes wrong and you have to reinstate the files at a later date.

Here is a screen capture of the horizontal orientation (notice the chopped off text at the bottom corners):

Does this happen when you load the gallery in horizontal orientation or when you load the gallery in vertical orientation and then rotate the device (or both)?
Also, what version of iOS does your device currently run (this information may be useful if I need to log a bug report with the developers)?
Could you also please double-check that the gallery in question is running the latest version of SimpleViewer (v2.3.2) and that you have completely cleared your browser's cache before loading the gallery? Thank you.

Steven Speirs

Steven Speirs wrote:

It would be possible to write a script in a server-side scripting language (such as PHP) to search recursively through the directories on your web server and replace all 'svcore' folders but, as far as I am aware, no-one has written such a script specifically for SimpleViewer.
A user has written a script in Python to update 'jbcore' folders on a web server for Juicebox galleries. Perhaps you could adapt it for use with SimpleViewer. (The principle is the same, just the name of the folder will change from 'jbcore' to 'svcore'.)
The script can be found in this forum post.
Please note that this script is not an official solution and use of it is entirely at your own risk. I would advise that before using it, you make a full backup of your web site, just in case anything goes wrong and you have to reinstate the files at a later date.

Thanks for the information, I'll check it out.

Steven Speirs wrote:

Does this happen when you load the gallery in horizontal orientation or when you load the gallery in vertical orientation and then rotate the device (or both)?

The gallery exhibits the behavior in screen capture 5 whether I load the gallery in vertical first or horizontal first.  Rotating to the other position and then back does not seem to do anything to change things.

Steven Speirs wrote:

Also, what version of iOS does your device currently run (this information may be useful if I need to log a bug report with the developers)?

Could you also please double-check that the gallery in question is running the latest version of SimpleViewer (v2.3.2) and that you have completely cleared your browser's cache before loading the gallery? Thank you.

I am running iOS version 7.1.2 on my ipad mini.

Yes this gallery, is running the latest version of simpleviewer

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar … /combmeter

Yes, I cleared the browser's cache & history twice now to check things.  Also, I checked whether this issue exists using Google Chrome on my ipad mini, and it does not.  So it appears the issue may be specific to the safari browser on the ipad or ipad mini.

Thanks
Josh

Thank you for the additional information.
Please try adding the following meta viewport tag to the <head> section of your gallery web page's <head> section (and clear your browser's cache and reload your web page in horizontal orientation afterwards) to see if this make a difference.

<meta name="viewport" content="minimal-ui" />

The 'minimal-ui' property is used on iOS 7 devices to display a web page fullscreen (removing the browser's toolbars from view).
I think it is unlikely that this will help but it should be quick and easy to try.
If it does not help, then I will log a bug report with the developers.

Steven Speirs

Hi Steven,

I tried adding the minimal-ui property you suggested, but it didn't change anything.

Thanks
Josh

Thank you for trying.
I have now logged a bug report with the developers.

One possible workaround for this bug would be for you to bump your captions up your page a bit by adding a couple of HTML line breaks (<br>) at the end of each caption, e.g.:

<caption><![CDATA[Caption text goes here.<br><br>]]></caption>

(If entering your captions into svBuilder-Pro, you would just enter Caption text goes here.<br><br>. svBuilder-Pro automatically encapsulates the caption text in <caption> and CDATA tags within the XML file.)

Steven Speirs

Ok, thanks for the work around Steven.  I'll check it out.

Josh