Topic: After update: "Gallery XML not found"

Hi,

I recently updated NextGEN and now get an error for all my Simpleviewer galleries: "Gallery XML not found". As far as I can tell the permissions of the svcore folder are fine. Any idea what's happening? Here's an example:
http://inmagicland.com/2014/08/south-chilcotin/].

It's weird since I have another website on the same server, with the same versions of Simpleviewer and NextGEN, with just one gallery that does work:
http://cherryonabike.com/locations/

I tried going back to a previous version of NextGEN and that didn't seem to do the trick - the galleries disappeared completely, instead of giving the above error. I also tried the newer version of Simpleviewer, which didn't solve the problem.

Currently using WP-Simpleviewer 2.3.22 and NextGEN 2.0.66.27.

(PS: I'm a pro user of Simpleviewer)

Thanks,
Gili.

Re: After update: "Gallery XML not found"

I have just created a gallery with WP-SimpleViewer v2.3.2.2 and the lastest version of NextGEN (v2.0.66.27) and it displays and functions fine I am not sure what could be causing your problem. Perhaps it is related to your web server's current PHP configuration.

If I try to view your gallery's XML file directly in a browser, a "XML Parsing Error: no element found" error message is displayed.
However, if I feed the URL into a download manager, I can open the resulting file in a text editor and view your gallery's XML data absolutely fine.

Please try the following.
Open the plugin's 'wp-simpleviewer/config.php' file in a plain text editor and change line 106 from:

echo $dom_doc->saveXML();

... to:

echo $dom_doc->saveXML($settings_tag);

Hopefully this will help. It has helped a couple of other users in the past whose galleries have displayed similar symptoms.

Please note that the line number above refers to WP-SimpleViewer v2.3.2.2.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately that did not work - I still get the same error. I doubt it is related to a server php issue, since: 1. I have another blog on the same server, with the same plugins, in which the blog works fine. 2. It was working fine until yesterday and I doubt anything changed in the configuration of the server.

I restored my plugins to the condition that they were in three days ago, and now all is well...  I then updated NextGEN to the current version (I was using 2.0.27 before all this happened) and still all is well. So, this is not really a good solution, but it did work.

I really do not know what might have been causing your problem but I am glad that it seems to have been resolved.
Thank you for posting back to let me know.

Steven Speirs

Hi Steven,

Unfortunately, even though everything was working fine last night, I checked again this morning and I have the same error message again! I now restored my plugins again from a few days ago and will refrain from updating NextGEN to see what happens. If the error stays away, I'll have to remember not to update it ever again...

Cheers,
Gili.

Oh, and the version of NextGEN I'm using is 2.0.27. The reason I'm using such an old version is that something like what's happening now occurred already once in the past. I thought that enough versions had gone past that it would be fixed by now, but maybe not.

To try to figure out what is going wrong, I tried the following.

I installed WP-SimpleViewer v2.3.2.2 and NextGEN Gallery v2.0.66.27 (the latest version).
I created a NextGEN Gallery and used it in WP-SimpleViewer. The SimpleViewer gallery displayed and functioned fine.
I then downgraded NextGEN Gallery to v2.0.27 and cleared my browser's cache. The SimpleViewer gallery (created with NextGEN Gallery v2.0.66.27) still displayed and functioned fine.
I then created a new NextGEN Gallery with v2.0.27 and used it in WP-SimpleViewer. This new gallery also displays and functions fine.

No matter what I do (and what version of NextGEN Gallery I use), I cannot seem to replicate your problem.
The other variables in the equation (other than the plugin versions) are the web servers in use and their respective PHP configuration settings. I can only think that is somehow web server of PHP related although I am unsure how.

I would certainly be willing to investigate further but I would need access to your WordPress installation and web server (and your site would need to be actively demonstrating the problem). If you are agreeable to this, please let me know and I will send you an email where you can send me your login details.

Steven Speirs

Hi Steven - thanks for your help. I'd consider that, but we're just about to go away for ten days so it's not the best timing (I'd rather be around in case trouble develops). Perhaps when we get back...

Also, I don't think it's a server/php issue, since as I mentioned before, I have another WP site on the same server, on the same account, and it works fine. Perhaps it's a the theme or another plugin that is misbehaving...?

Perhaps when we get back...

No problem.

Perhaps it's a the theme or another plugin that is misbehaving...?

It would certainly we wise to temporarily revert to the default WorPress theme and deactivate all plugins (other than WP-SimpleViewer and NextGEN Gallery) to see what happens. If all is well, then you can reactivate your plugins one-by-one (checking your SimpleViewer gallery after each one) to see if you can find the cause of the conflict.

Steven Speirs

Since I wrote this original post, I've been dancing around this problem: it seemed to exist with any new version NextGen, forcing me to go back to that old version 2.0.27. Every now and then I'd update the plugin by mistake, find out that the galleries were not working, and had to go back to that old version. This was not ideal, but at least the galleries were viewable. This time, even going back to the old version doesn't seem to solve the issue.

I'm currently using WP-Simpleviewer 2.3.4 with NextGEN 2.1.23 on Wordpress 4.4.2, hosted by Bluehost. The error shown for all galleries is still "Gallery XML not found". When I tried switching back to NextGEN 2.0.27, I now got a different error, something like "no images in XML". The error can be seen in the gallery at the bottom of most recent blog posts on http://inmagicland.com.

Any help on this would be much appreciated!

Confusingly, I have observed that whenever I try switching to a newer version of NextGEN, the error message disappears for a day or so, and then comes back. So, right now the galleries actually appear fine, but I'm fairly sure they will break again very soon.

Confusingly, I have observed that whenever I try switching to a newer version of NextGEN, the error message disappears for a day or so, and then comes back.

That certainly sounds strange. Your gallery seems to be OK at the moment (as you say).
If your gallery fails, please post back and I will investigate further.

It's not easy trying to troubleshoot an intermittent or seemingly random problem (especially when the gallery seems to be working OK at the moment). Such problems can often be due to web server or internet connection problems. The plugin's code will not change and assuming nothing else changes, then, in an ideal world, the code should always be rendered with consistency and predictability.

You might like to try updating WP-SimpleViewer to v2.3.2.5 which is currently available only from our own web site here.
(It has not yet been updated in the WordPress plugin repository.)
There are several internal code changes between v2.3.2.4 and v2.3.2.5 (please see the version history here) and you might find that it makes a difference.

Steven Speirs

As I expected, with no further changes, the galleries stopped working again, giving the same error. I could try updating WP-Simpleviewer as you suggested, any other ideas?

I would certainly try upgrading WP-SimpleViewer to the latest version (v2.3.2.5)to see if this helps with your problem.

I also notice that your web page loads SimpleViewer-Pro v2.3.1.
You might like to try using the latest version of the core SimpleViewer-Pro files (v2.3.2) to see if this makes a difference, too.

Instructions for downloading the latest version of SimpleViewer-Pro can be found here.

You can then upgrade WP-SimpleViewer with these files by following the instructions here.

Hopefully upgrading both WP-SimpleViewer and SimpleViewer-Pro will help.

Steven Speirs

Thanks! I've updated WP-Simpleviewer as well as the svcore directory from the latest Simpleviewer-Pro. In the meantime I noticed that even as is (before the above updates though), the gallery sometimes showed correctly and sometimes showed the error. I'll post here again if I find that the galleries are broken again, but fingers crossed that that solved the problem.

Unfortunately, the problem is still there: I'm currently getting the "Gallery XML not found" error. Any other ideas?

I would be happy to investigate further but I would really need access to your web server and WordPress site to determine the cause of the problem. (I would need to upload some temporary files to your server to try to troubleshoot the problem.)
If you are agreeable to this, then please let me know and I will send you an email with details of how you can forward me your FTP and WordPress login details.

Steven Speirs

Thanks Steven, yes, let's do that - please let me know where to send the details.

Please check your email. I have sent you a message. Thank you.

Steven Speirs

The problems is occured in me too.
But ofter some tweaks the problems gone. But in a few days, it come back again -_-
any idea?

@irfan99

If you are currently using a non-default permalink structure, then please try the following.
Open the plugin's 'config.php', sv-config.php' and 'save-gallery.php' files in a plain text editor and change all instances of:

include_once $wp_path . 'wp-blog-header.php';

... to:

include_once $wp_path . 'wp-load.php';

(There is just once instance near the top of each file.)

Also, in order to eliminate the possibility of a plugin conflict, try temporarily deactivating all plugins other than WP-SimpleViewer to see if this makes a difference. If it does, then reactivate your other plugins one-by-one (checking your WP-SimpleViewer gallery after each one) until you find the source of the conflict.

If the suggestions above do not help, then please let me know what version of WP-SimpleViewer you are using and post a link to one of your galleries that fails so that I can see the problem for myself and investigate further. Thank you.

Steven Speirs