Topic: iFrame issues in Firefox & IE [SOLVED]

I have two galleries in use on a website, each on a separate page.

The site uses Wordpress, but I am not using the WP plugin. I am using iFrames to embed galleries from folders based on my server.

They seem to work fine in Safari and Chrome, but in IE I get a tiny main picture and in Firefox I get nothing at all.

I have tried several resizing fixes but have had no joy.

There may be a simple fix that I have over looked - I am new to using SimpleViewer, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You can view the code live at -

http://northolmefiley.com/the-house/

and

http://northolmefiley.com/the-bay/

Thanks in advance.

Re: iFrame issues in Firefox & IE [SOLVED]

Your problem may be due to setting your iframe's height as 100%.
This means that the iframe's actual height will be 100% of it's parent container. If the iframe's parent container does not actually have a height explicitly specified via CSS (and this may be difficult to ensure in a WordPress environment where content containers are created and controlled by the chosen theme), then the browser may be unable to determine a height for the iframe (ie. 100% of what?).
Try giving your iframe's height a fixed pixel value (such as '600px') instead of a percentage to see if this makes a difference.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Hi Steven, thanks for the quick response.

I have tried using fixed values, which does alter the size when viewed in most browsers, however the problem persists in Firefox. I have checked with plugins disabled etc to check for conflict issues there, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

The WP theme is a custom build and I have control over the containing element, however from what I can see, this does not seem to be the issue. No matter the size, the gallery does not display.

When checking the live code, the sv-container div appears to be completely empty in Firefox, which is not the case in other browsers. I am not even getting an XML path error.

I have checked all paths (being wordpress, I was generating some using php) and have switched them to be absolutely defined in case this was causing an issue, but there is no change.

You can see an example at - http://northolmefiley.com/the-house/

Thanks again.

The problem may be that your iframe is not visible until the 'Gallery' tab is clicked.
However, the gallery is loaded into the iframe as soon as the page is loaded. If the iframe is hidden via CSS/JavaScript until the 'Gallery' tab is clicked, then it will have no dimensions when then gallery is initially loaded and the gallery (being 100% of the iframe's dimensions), will also have no dimensions (100% x 0px = 0px).
Try going directly to http://northolmefiley.com/the-house/#gallery in a new browser tab or window and you should hopefully see the gallery OK (as the iframe is visible when the page and gallery are loaded).

Possible solutions would be:
(1)  Ensure that your iframe has dimensions when the page is loaded (and not just when the 'Gallery' tab is clicked).
... or:
(2) Embed the gallery directly in your web page replacing the iframe with suitable embedding code. (As you have already uploaded your entire gallery folder to your web server, you could use the baseURL method of embedding as documented here). You may then need to delay the loading of the gallery until the 'Gallery' tab is clicked by wrapping your gallery's embedding code in a JavaScript function and triggering the function to run (using JavaScript) when the 'Gallery' tab is clicked.

I hope this points you in the right direction.

Steven Speirs

Thanks for the tips.

Using the baseURL method and a bit of javascript to load the gallery when the appropriate tab was clicked did the trick.

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated smile

I'm glad you've been able to resolve your problem.
Thank you for posting back to let me know.

Steven Speirs