Topic: Shifting in Mozilla & Safari [SOLVED]

Hello,

Hope you can help smile
I've placed a Gallery in a html page, actually it's a three column table and the gallery is displayed in the center column. It works fine in IE and Chrome, but in Mozilla and Safari the Gallery shifts to the right (78% width+lenght). I have had a look at and tried several suggestions here on the forum ("floating" codes in css and <div id="sf-container etc, but with no luck.
Here is the link http://www.granpamir.it/Davey/gallery/show/Gallery.htm
Anyone??
Thanks! smile

Re: Shifting in Mozilla & Safari [SOLVED]

I notice that your web page does not use a Doctype Declaration (DTD). It is important for each web page to use a DTD so that the user's browser knows what set of standards the code on your web page conforms to.
Choose a suitable DTD from the list on this page and put it at the very top of your web page above your opening <html> tag.
As a starting point, try the HTML 5 DTD:

<!DOCTYPE HTML>

Once you have added the DTD to your page, you can check the code on your page with the W3C Markup Validation Service and fix any errors reported. Once the code on your page validates correctly, it should be rendered with greater predictability and consistency across different browsers.

Also, rather than settings your gallery's dimensions to 70% x 70%, try giving your gallery fixed pixel dimensions (the same size as the gallery's parent container) or give your gallery dimensions of 100% x 100% (so that it fills its parent container) and set the parent container's dimensions to whatever size you want the gallery to be.

Hopefully this will help.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Thank you for your help, unfortunately I had no luck after adding the HTML5 code.
Among all errors (mostly font/align errors), it reports the following:

Legacy encoding windows-1252 used. Documents should use UTF-8. ✉

Error Line 6, Column 56: Bad value ProgId for attribute name on element meta: Keyword progid is not registered.
<meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">

Is this all related to the fact the page was edited in Frontpage 6.0? What else can I try?

Thanks!

It is important that your web page uses a Doctype Declaration.
It may seem like a small thing but it may make a big difference and will at least allow the validator to know what set of standards the code on your web page should be checked against in order to list possible HTML errors.
Please put the following Doctype Declaration at the very top of your web page (before the opening <html> tag).

<!DOCTYPE HTML>

The problem may be due to setting your gallery's dimensions as percentages.
When using percentage dimensions, it is necessary to ensure that all parent containers of the gallery have dimensions specified via CSS (otherwise, SimpleViewer will not know what its height and width should be percentages of) and this can result in unpredictable sizing.
Please see this note for Using Percentage Heights in this support section.

A quick fix might be to simply set your gallery's dimensions as fixed pixel values.
It looks like the table cell your gallery is is already has a fixed height of 744 pixels so you could try the following embedding code:

<!--START SIMPLEVIEWER EMBED.-->
<script type="text/javascript" src="svcore/js/simpleviewer.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
    simpleviewer.ready(function () {
        simpleviewer.load("sv-container", "744", "600", "C19B3F", true);
    });
</script>
<div id="sv-container"></div>
<!-- END SIMPLEVIEWER EMBED -->

You could then increase the table cell's height from 200px (which it is currently set at) to 600px to match the height of the gallery which is inside it.

Steven Speirs
SimpleViewer Support Team.

It worked, thanks for your help! big_smile