Topic: Can't change caption width, how to remove title?

Hi there,

I'm having some trouble, in spite of research.

I'd like to change the caption width, but seem to find varying directions, and following all the bits and pieces hasn't seemed to work.

I tried changing the caption height, width, and x and y locations in the Options.as file - no dice. I also tried editing the caption movie in the Flash file so that the object was wider. No luck there either. Do I need to change something somewhere else, such as in the stagemanager.as file? If so, what exactly?

I'd like to have the caption the width of the entire show, if this isn't possible, at least the width of the image itself.

I would also like to completely remove the title- it seems like it's still alloting the space for the title even though I don't have one specified and also changed its size in the Options.as file to 0 height and width, and 0 position.

I have republished my Flash file a number of times, and definitely uploaded it.

You can see what I've managed customization wise so far here:

http://www.thewebmuse.com/flashgallery.html

Any help or direction to the proper posts would be great- I've been using the search feature and attempting to browse with my eyes, but haven't stumbled on the right thing yet, I guess.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Can't change caption width, how to remove title?

you can eliminate the title in StageManager.as

around line 104
comment out

mTitle_mc = mClip_mc.attachMovie("Title","mcTitle",mClip_mc.getNextHighestDepth());

and also in StageManager, you can change the caption width around line 258

mCaption_mc.txtText._width = mThumbArea.width;//original code

mCaption_mc.txtText._width = mImageArea.width;//to make it the width //of the main image

mCaption_mc.txtText._width = 700;  //assign it a given width

the values you tried in options.as are for a fixed layout, I think.

Richard

in order to better assist you, please provide a url, relevant code and details about your problem.
Thanks!

Thanks- that seems to be working!

Still having some issues with extra space up at the top of the show- you can see, it's causing a rather large gap between my text and the top of the slideshow, even though I have no <Br> or <p> tags.

http://www.thewebmuse.com/flashportfolio.html

Do you think it's because I haven't correctly commented out the title, or because there's something else I'm missing??

Thanks!

try putting the h1 tags in a separate div

Richard

in order to better assist you, please provide a url, relevant code and details about your problem.
Thanks!

Hrm, no dice.

I think the extra space is actually in the flash movie itself. Which seems odd.

This is with the extra div.

http://www.thewebmuse.com/flashportfolio.html

Felix can you jump in?

Richard

Thanks!

Try reducing the height of the SWF in the SWFObject declaration.

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Thanks Felix.

I've actually had this thought already.

I've tried this, and it cuts off the bottom rather than the top. I lose my caption and my arrows, etc.

If I get it small enough, it seems to start cutting off the top, but I'm still loosing the bottom.

this might be a workaround

swf wmode transparent

place the viewer div ( layer) up about 50 px or to suit

the h1 text should still show

Richard

Thanks!

You mean use absolute positioning?

Sadly, when I do that it throws off most of the page, since the original designer did all the placement using CSS.

I can try and tweak it, but I'm afraid I'd have to mess with the main site template and I'm not sure they want me going there.

I'll see what I can do with that- in the meantime, any other thoughts? smile

ahh, ck the padding and margin in the h1 css, maybe the  space is there.
too cold here for any other thoughts  big_smile

Richard

Thanks!