Topic: Changing the movie size from 640x480 retaining image quality

Hi,

I've been asked to update someones website and they are using SimpleViewer 1.7 Pro.  I've spent this afternoon getting to grips with it and have come up against a problem. 

The area I'm putting the viewer.swf movie into is 580W x 400H whereas the default movie size is 640x 480.  When I resize the viewer.swf file using the code from FAQ 11 it scales the movie correctly BUT the image quality deteriorates and begins to develop jagged edges as per the shoes picture on this page, http://www.catherinecarterphotography.c … llery.html

I opened up the .fla file in Flash and changed the movie size to 580 x 400 but by doing this the "Gallery" title in the top left disappeared and it seemed to generally mess up the alignment of things.

Is there an easy way to change the default size of the movie but keeping the original image quality?  Or do I have to hack the .fla file to get it right?  If so, can anyone give me some tips?

Cheers
Chris

www.chriswarner.com

Re: Changing the movie size from 640x480 retaining image quality

Any time flash resizes a jpg you are going to lose some quality. If you want to retain optimal image quality and your images are too big to fit into your swf, you will need to down-scale the images in Photoshop or similar to fit the dimensions you are displaying at.

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Thanks for the reply.

The images I'm using are already small enough to fit into the movie at 580 x 400 but because it's going to resize the whole movie downwards from 640 x 480 it looks like the only way I can really do this and prevent resizing is to make the original .fla movie 580 x 400. 

I couldn't find the "Gallery" title in the movie so where does it pick this up from?  I need to move it so it fits into my new movie size.  Is the alignment of the thumbnails controlled from the .as file?

Cheers
Chris

www.chriswarner.com

You don't need to resize the FLA. SimpleViewer does automatic resizing based on the size of the browser window. If you are going with a fixed size, set fixedLayout = true and enableImageDownScaling = false in the AS options. This will ensure the images are not resized.

Set gallery position using titleXand titleYAS options.

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.