Topic: Disabling preload for big galleries

Hi,

thanks for the excellent program, but I have a problem. While AV loads images in sequence, I always get the preloader loading for minutes when I publish a big gallery, as it tries to download all images before displaying even the first one.

Is there a way to use AV pro with huge galleries? I'd like a way like in SV to disable preloading or to have a more intelligent preloader that loads just two images each time or something like this.

This way I think it's easy to setup and load times would be really shorter.

Can you advise me how to do it in options or modifying the source?

Thanks,

GC

Re: Disabling preload for big galleries

Any hint for this? I saw on the forum I'm not the only one asking for this, because the 'sequence preload' is not a solution if it tries anyway to load all images before starting 'properly' to show (even the first) photographs.

Being a paid application, I think it's not so difficult to implement this fix (by you or some user) and then share it with all paying customers. The preload system in a flash aplication is crucial, and I think it's even more crucial in a slideshow where I can also put virtually hundreds of images.

Thanks for support, hope to read from you soon.

Regards,

GC

Since AutoViewer loads all the images up-front, it's not ideally suited for galleries with 100s of images. That said, it will load the images sequentially, so you should see the first image load before the last image loads.

There is currently no option to disable pre-loading. This would require modifications to the source-code. I will look at adding this option into the next version.

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Hi Felix,

first of all thanks for your reply. I'm quite disappointed by your reply, because it's not fair to tell now that this applications is not well suited for many images. It should be written and underlined well on the website, where you should say that the two applications are different not only in the way they display images, but also because one is better suited for a particular slideshow type (I can always want to make a long sequence of 100 images, where's the problem?).

You ask $45 for each application, I bought this one for my 'long' gallery as it's not written on website it's not ideal for this, and now I cannot use it.
Even if it loads in sequence, when you have many images (or maybe just a few but at high resolution / 'quality') you get spinning preload icon until the end, I think the application was not intended to be a slideshow with ethernal preload undergoing all the time.

I hope you'll fix this soon so I'll not trash my $45, and in the meantime I think it's fair to write this clearly on website: not well suited for long slideshows or highquality/resolution images.
It's a really nice application, I'd pay again for an app like this, but it's a shame at the moment I just cannot use it.

GC

Hi,

you are correct, this issue should be made clear in the docs. I've updated the docs accordingly.

- Felix

Felix Turner

Has this issue been resolved? I am interested in purchasing PRO and need a more user friendly viewer for a large number of images.

There is now a 'preloadAllImages' option to turn off preloading: http://www.airtightinteractive.com/proj … tions.html

Felix Turner

will this take care of the Flash Player popup saying "a script is causing Safari to run slow,  do you wish to abort?"

I have only about 75 images in my gallery,  but still this warning keeps popping up from time to time.