Topic: Simpleview 1.8 and simpleviewadmin

Hi,

I've tried everything to get this to work and I have no idea how.  I have found the updated links that were posted for the new version 1.8 to work with the updated simpleviewadmin tool.  I followed the instructions to the letter as far as I can tell.

I uploaded the simpleviewadmin tool, and the simpleview folder into their seperate folders and changed the security on those to be 777 and that didn't work. (I could see the sample simpleview gallery that comes with the download but the admin tool didn't work)

I then combined the contents of the simpleviewer into the same folder as the admin tool with no luck.  I did the same thing in reverse, still no admin tool.  I know it's not a security issue because if it was I wouldn't be able to run the sample gallery.

The error I keep getting is a 500 internet server error; however, it worked once but I haven't got it to work again.  HELP!!!

I really need this working,
thanks.

Re: Simpleview 1.8 and simpleviewadmin

Do you remember what changed between when it was working and not?

Try re-downloading the files and starting from scratch.

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Ya, that's the thing I don't think anything changed.  I have re-downloaded and retried it in all possible ways and still not luck.  I keep getting the same error.  The 500 internal server error is strange, its not the error I would expect.  The server is a linux server (apache), but within the error explaination it says "misconfiguration" happenend when I tried to run the php file.  I have other php files running and the test gallery works, so I'm not sure that's the issue.

Perhaps I can explain what I'm trying to do.  I have a client that wants to upload photos to their gallery and have the ability to manage them and do it on their own (because like most, they want something for nothing), so they don't want anything fancy.  As such I'm trying to find different alternatives to have them manage their own photos and simpleview seems to fit the bill.

Are any of the other options from your site better for album management? (eg.  porta, etc.)  Maybe there is a better management method that I'm not aware of.  Keep in mind the users have limited computer skills.

thanks for your response.

Well I'm almost 100% that it's not anything I'm doing.  The server admin tool is failing on the server host for whatever reason.  Is there more to just setting the permissions on the folder?  It can't find the simplevieweradmin.php file, or should I say the php file fails on the server for some reason.

I need a solution to this.

Has nobody else ran into this problem? 

First of all the admin tool doesn't work in FireFox only in IE, and the biggest problem of them all, the entire reason it wouldn't work?  The documentation is incorrect, setting permissions on the folders to 777 will cause the admin tool not to work. 

The permissions must be set to 755 on the server for it to function. 

Such a painful experience for something so simple, frustration almost had the better of me and I just about gave up on it.

So now that I have it installed and running how do I get the gallerys to work?  I've created two test albums and they are listed in the in the SV left had navigation under "Unpublished".

When I click on the "Back to Gallery" button it says "SimpleViewer is not set up!
Please log in!"

What am I doing wrong?

thanks

Something else to watch...

Setting the publish value to 'true' is case sensitive.  It must be lower case.   

I'm still not having any luck with firefox, it just simply (ha-ha) doesn't work.

When I try and view it in firefox, there are just big white 'x's where the large images and thumbnails are supposed to be.

Man, it's like I'm talking to myself in here.   roll

I need some answers please...

I know whats now causing it, I just don't know how to fix it.  Heres the thing, I installed the SVA1.4 on my server, the folder contains the files like so:

+ img
index.php
SimpleViewer.php
SimpleViewerAdmin.php
SimpleViewerConfig.php
SimpleViewerConfig.xml
SimpleViewerCSS.php
SimpleViewerEditImage.php
SimpleViewerFunctions.php
SimpleViewerImageData.php

swfobject.js (from simpleviewer 1.8.)
upgrade.php (from simpleviewer 1.8.)
viewer.swf (from simpleviewer 1.8.)

I then used the admin tool to create two gallerys

+test1 (which has the below files and images folders in it)
   -images
   -thumbs
      gallery.xml

+test2 (which has the below files and images folders in it)
   -images
   -thumbs
      gallery.xml

So now my entire directory structure with the albums looks like so:

+ img
+test1
+test2
index.php
SimpleViewer.php
SimpleViewerAdmin.php
SimpleViewerConfig.php
SimpleViewerConfig.xml
SimpleViewerCSS.php
SimpleViewerEditImage.php
SimpleViewerFunctions.php
SimpleViewerImageData.php

swfobject.js (from simpleviewer 1.8)
upgrade.php (from simpleviewer 1.8)
viewer.swf (from simpleviewer 1.8)

If I view those gallerys through IE, (http://www.mydomain.com/photos/?album=test2) they work just fine, however Firefox can't find the files.

Through some experimentation I found that if I put the following files into each gallery folder like so:

+test1 (which now has the below files and images folders in it)
   +images
   +thumbs
      gallery.xml
      index.html (from simpleviewer 1.8)

+test2 (which now has the below files and images folders in it)
   +images
   +thumbs
      gallery.xml
      index.html (from simpleviewer 1.8)

Then edited the respective gallery.xml file so the 'imagePath' variable was like this:

imagePath="images/"

Then the gallerys worked in both IE and Firefox. (however the large image size, thumbs were much smaller and the position was left justified)

So I now know in the orginal configuration IE can find the files with the imagePath set as:

imagePath="./test2/images/"

Which is generated in the SVA album creation process, but Firefox can't.  So how do I solve that problem?

Ben? Felix?  Your my only hope.

thanks

Oh come on, someone has had to had the same problem as me.  I'm sure I'm not the only firefox user.

For all of those out there with the same issue, it's the HotLink protection on the server.  It must be disabled, or allow access to the index.php file, or the folder if using the index.html file.

Thanks for posting the solution. Hotlink protection breaks SimpleViewer.

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.