Topic: Linking to images above/outside web server root

I am trying to determine if it is possible to link to images outside of the web server root directory.  This is my wifes photography website and she wants to protect the content.  One way to limit this is to store the actual images outside of the web accessible spaces.  Is this possible to give the path to SimpleView, if so how should it work?

I have tried giving it the full server path, paths that including ../../ indicating it should go up two levels, but none of these worked.

Link to one of the gallery's wwwDOTmeganscameraworksDOTcom /proofs.php?Gallery=Vacation%20Special

If this is a feature of the Pro version, I would be happy to purchase it, but I want to make sure I can do this before I go much further.

Thanks,

Everette

Re: Linking to images above/outside web server root

I have tried a couple of other tricks with the path for the data, but I still haven't been able to get anything working.

My next approach is to make a restricted htacces file that only requests from the local server can access.  I will let people know how it works out.

I was able to get this to work.  I utilized .htaccess to block access to the images except from the particular pages running the simple viewer software.

That sounds like a great idea, would you mind sharing the .htaccess file with us?

I actually am having trouble posting it.  The forum wont let me put links/urls up.  I will figure something out, but it might take a couple days.

I will also post the modifications to the provided build script, which will read through several directories of images and create the appropriate files.

Thanks!