Topic: getting gifs and pngs to work with SV - definitive answer ?

ok so when I open a gallery with images in jpg, gif and png formats, only jpgs are displayed in SV.
*edit : can't post urls*
Here /forum/viewtopic.php?t=4121
and here /forum/viewtopic.php?t=3572
tigerstare mentions that there should be no problem about that.
However, it still doesn't work in my setup, even though the flash player is FP9.

The FAQ #23 states

23: Will SimpleViewer load things other than JPG images?

SimpleViewer can load JPGs and SWFs. Any other file types (.gifs, videos etc) are not supported. SWFs are loaded in the same way as JPGs, just add the SWF filename to gallery.xml. Note that you will need to add a thumbnail SWF with the same name as the large SWF in the 'thumbs' folder (the same as for a JPG).

So what is the definitive answer ? Has *anyone* been able to display pngs and gifs in SV, and if yes, how ?
Is the version of flash used to generate the swf important, or only the player ? If yes, what is the version the swf packaged in the product has been generated with, and is it worth trying with a more recent version of flash ?

If code needs to be changed, where would that be ? File image.as seems to have some jpg-specific variables names, but just looking at it it doesn't seem obvious to me that they couldn't apply to other file formats or what to change to them to make it compatible.

Any help is really welcome.

Re: getting gifs and pngs to work with SV - definitive answer ?

Hi,

SimpleViewer (v1.8 ) is published for Flash Player 7. This means it can only load JPGs. To allow SV to load gifs and pngs, you need to publish the SV-PRO FLA for Flash Player 8.

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.

My gif isn't working - I have SV pro and I have published the simpleviewer.fla for flash player 8...any ideas? The gif shows the first frame of the animation as though it were a jpg but will not animate.

SimpleViewer v1.8.5 handles GIFs  out of the box. Flash only reads the first frame of an animated gif. To display an animated gif you will need to convert it into a SWF.

Felix Turner

Ah ok, will try that. Cheers!

I've saved my gif animation as an SWF, but it plays too fast when put in the simpleviewer gallery. It plays at the right speed when I just view it on my computer, and the html page that was automatically generated plays it at the right speed... any ideas?

SimpleViewer has a frame rate of 30, so you will need to build your flash animation at that speed.

Felix Turner