Topic: Simpleviewer not working; can anyone please review my steps?

Ok,
like most people here (I've read many threads, but seen no solution) I can't seem to work simpleviewer.

I'll describe my steps taken:

I put the simpleviewer files (images, thumbs, viewer, gallery, swfobject, index) in a sub-directory of my website.

As a test, I put five pictures in "images" and five related thumbs in "thumbs"; with the same name and all as .jpg.
In "gallery.xml" I mentioned those five pictures.
In the header of "gallery.xml" I've named the imagepath and thumbpath to the subdirectories where the images and thumbs are.
"Index.html" I haven't changed yet, as I wanted to test first before finishing it.

Then I uploaded all files/directories.
I understand "gallery" is in "index", but when I look at this particular part of my site, I only see the little preloader of simpleviewer with "simpleviewer" down on the right side of the site. This is the "index" page, I assume. Why isn't "gallery.xml" working?

Obviously I missed something, but I can't find out what it is.

Thanks for thinking with me and answering!

(I'm sorry, I cannot post urls, can't give full examples)

Re: Simpleviewer not working; can anyone please review my steps?

Have you tried running the simpleviewer gallery from your c: drive first to make sure it works?

You can run your gallery from your c: drive by clicking on the index.html file. This will run your default browser and is called running 'locally'.
The files and folders should be like the following whether on your c: dirve or on your web server. Running it from your c: drive first lets you check that all your simpleviewer files are working. Any other problems will most likely be web server related.

your_gallery_folder
.........images
.........thumbs
.........gallery.xml
.........index.html
.........swfobject.js
.........viewer.swf

All images including thumbs should be .jpg (lower case extension) with matching file names.

Regards
Phil
http://www.phillipnorman.com

I checked and it's not running locally. I see the same black screen with the simpleviewer loader and the simpleviewer logo down on the right.
I resaved my images and thumbs to small extension .jpg and changed them in the gallery.xml file: nothing.

Do you have another suggestion?

When I downloaded simpleviewer, btw, I got a simpleviewer v1.7 and what I assume is a v1.8 version, simply called "simpleviewer". I decided not to use the v1.7 (didn't really understand the usage of an older version with this download), but could it be that the latest version isn't working properly, and the older one will be?

Check that the following code is set properly in your index.html file
fo.addVariable("xmlDataPath", "gallery.xml");

and you should make sure you haven't mixed up your files from 1.7 and 1.8

Regards
Phil

Yep, that one is set properly. I'm thinking about deleting the v1.8 files and start a new with the v1.7 that came with the download...
(*desperate mode*)

Well you can try that but V1.8 should work fine. Its what I use here.

Regards
Phil

Looks really good, Phil.
I've no idea why it doesnt work... I'll try again tomorrow (although I don't know where to look) and if I can't, I'll switch to the ready, steady, go Porta.