Topic: Gnash fails detection

First of all, thumbs up for this great piece of software. I've used it for times flawlessly.

Recently, as I switched to GNU/Linux on my amd64 desktop, I decided to use Gnash as the Flash player. Mainly because Adobe does not provide an amd64 plugin for Flash, and also because Gnash is the most efficient and promising free software implementation of Flash.

SimpleViewer is stuck with a grey background and a blinking "simpleviewer ... loading navigation".

When I go to the adobe Flash detection website, the result shown is "Gnash-cvs", and many flash objects are working properly with Gnash, I believe it supports versions of Flash v8 and under (v9 is in the works see Gnash website for more technical information about Gnash). Including all the Flash navigation of SimpleViewer website for instance.

So I did a search on google and your forums but couldn't see any similar question raised anywhere. Hopefully it's a simple detection problem but I must admit I don't have time right now to look more deeply into it.

Re: Gnash fails detection

Hmm, not sure. This is the first time I've heard of Gnash. Does Gnash work with other flash 7 websites?

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.

I use Gnash successfully for a variety of flash websites, it even does play youtube videos.

Quoted from their website:

Gnash is a GNU Flash movie player. Previously, it was only possible to play flash movies with proprietary software. While there are some other free flash players, none support anything beyond SWF v4. Gnash is based on GameSWF, and supports many SWF v7 features.

Okay I had some time to investigate further and this actually was a bug with SWObject, see bug #20696 of Gnash, listed on Savannah. But its fixed now and SWObject v1.5 gives the following:

You have Flash player 8.0.99 installed.

This page displays your current Flash player version using Javascript.

Still no idea wether this is gonna be sorted out?