Topic: Override gallery.xml options via embedded link

Is there a way I can override an option specified in the gallery.xml configuration file by specifying it as a variable or something from the embedded link? The reason I ask is that it looks like an easy way for a friend to have a tiny gallery embedded in a page on their site would be to maintain a local copy via porta and sync it to a folder on the server, using the simpleviewer embedding instructions to point at the file locations in the porta subdirectory. The only hassle is that after any changes the imagePath="" and thumbPath="" fields need to have the subdirectory added to their path. Which is pretty minor but does add an extra step. Can I override these values even if they exist in the xml file?

Re: Override gallery.xml options via embedded link

... looks like an easy way for a friend to have a tiny gallery embedded in a page on their site would be to maintain a local copy via porta and sync it to a folder on the server...

Really like to help but I'm not sure I understand the question.

Are you trying to host the SVP content and have it load on another site?

Nah, I'd have them build it locally with the Porta interface as I imagine they will be a bit confused by the xml file. Then sync the album to a directory on the server and just embed SimpleViewer as per usual from that directory. Porta though assumes it is at the root level and images are in "medium" and thumbs in "small". I wouldn't feel it was safe to let them sync anything at the web root so at the moment I'm just manually adding a porta prefix to those locations in the xml but if there was a way to pass that variable when embedding SimpleViewer then everything would just plug and play.

It might be easier to just dynamically create gallery.xml. That's what picasaviewer flickrviewer do.

Ben

View your PicasaWeb albums in SimpleViewer using [url=http://benhughes.freehostia.com/picasaviewer/]PicasaViewer[/url]