Topic: loss of sharpness

I have been designing my new website, and now it is almost ready. Simpleviewer works really well, but I have noticed an issue with the sharpness of the images displayed by SV.

The images displayed by SV are noticeably less sharp than the original .jpgs I have in my "images" folder. I compared some pictures displayed by SV, and the same pictures opened in another window by Photoshop, and the difference was clear.

I wonder if this is a known issue, and if there is a way around it (other than applying an abnormally high value of unsharp mask)

Tank you for your help

Marc

Re: loss of sharpness

I assumed it was the .fla JPEG compression setting, in the Publish Settings.

Or, maybe the image was being resized in the gallery.  Let's say your image is 600 px high, and the XML code is telling it to display at 400 px.  But that's not the case for me.  My code is set to 600 px and my images are 600 px.

I see blurry images in my galleries all the time, and it drives me nuts.

Anyone?

my original jpeg images are 467 pixels, just the same as in the code, so in theory they should not be resized by SV.

the jpeg compressions settings....  I have looked in the Publish settings and I have seen that it is possible to set a quality for jpeg images.... but although I know nothing about flash, it doesn't seem that it is doing anything to the viewer.swf file anyway.

Am I wrong?

Thanks for your help

Marc

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have SV Pro, you can increase the JPEG quality in the publish settings of the main .fla file, and then simply publish a new SWF file. 

I believe this is what I did recently (I forget now - I'll have to look when I get home), but I still have noticeably blurry images.

Anyone?

the JPEG quality settings in Flash do not affect the image quality in SimpleViewer, since the images are loaded externally. If the JPGs viewed through SimpleViewer look lower quality than the JPGs you are loading, the images are probably being shrunk to fit a smaller SWF size. Check the FAQ, Q 7: http://www.airtightinteractive.com/simp … r/faq.html

If your original JPGs look bad, you need to resave then using your image editing software (e.g. PhotoShop )

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Hi like the other posters, I have blurry images.  However I know it does not relate to the original images, or code in index.html.  It directly relates to the viewer.swf.  I purchased PRO and republished the swf to change the caption font, and thats when the problem occurs.  All I changed was the text properties, and absolutely nothing else and published... If I use the original free viewer.swf it looks perfect, when I use my published PRO viewer.swf the images are noticeably blurrier.

Update:
I have tried changing the downscaling option in the options.as - still blurry main images in the republished viewer.swf when compared to original viewer.swf that I copied from the web folder...

please post 2 urls, the free version and the pro (replace dots with spaces when posting URLs).

Felix Turner

I'm too new to post real links yet,

but if you can decipher this, you can find the two galleries, where i duplicated everything and changed only the name of the swf to simpleviewer for mine and kept viewer swf for the one fromt he demo

the gallery with the viewer swf is located at the domain of crackedout games and in the folder of h t t pdocs  (no spaces) then Portfolio then RJspread then the index

the gallery with my PRO simpleviewer swf is at the domain of crackedout games and in the folder of h t t pdocs then Portfolio then RJspread2 then the index

THANK YOU SO MUCH

http://www.crackedoutgames.com/Portfolio/RJspread does not exit.

To post URLs, replace dots with spaces in the URL.

Felix Turner

thanks for trying,

you left out the h t t pdocs (no spaces) to before /Portfolio

so it should be crackedoutgames com slash h ttpdocs(ignore space) slash Portfolio slash RJspread or RJspread2

thanks again

The 'maxImageWidth' XML option is different in each one. RJspread2 is displaying images smaller, therefore the images are being resized down and you are losing some smoothness.

Felix Turner

I am an idiot and forgot to make sure the upload gallery xml's were exactly the same again... In my search for an answer I had changed that maximagewidth hundreds of times... but now they are exactly the same BUT the pro swf still is blurrifying my images...

This simplifies it a little more, I made a file cindex html at crackedoutgames h ttpdocs portfolio RJspread2 pull from the same images and gallery xml in the folder as index html

just view cindex html and index html side by side and you can clearly see a loss in sharpness

so my images and gallery xml and index file are not the cause because all changed was the simpleviewer swf link to viewer swf from cindex html to index html

if its too annoying to decipher and troubleshoot, if you could send me a viewer swf that just has the captions and the title in Trebuchet MS (embed it please)... all the other settings should be set to the values you have when you created viewer swf for web folder in your release of 1.8 PRO if it doesn't change my images, then i really don't know what I'm doing wrong in my republish, but at least I'll have a working viewer swf

THANKS

Try adding this before the "fo.write("flashcontent");" line in the HTML doc.

fo.addParam("quality", "best");
Felix Turner

I had this problem yesterday.

I had resized the loader movie which the gallery is loaded into. Set it back to the original size and your movie will load sharply again.