Topic: X's in FireFox

My thumbs are ok in FF but the main images just come up as white X's.
However the thumbs and main images both work ok in IE
All file names and extensions are lowercase.
No gaps in file names.

Re: X's in FireFox

I am having a similar problem

SimpleViewer used to work perfectly fine in FireFox and IE, but for some reason in FireFox I am getting X's for both thumbnails and full images in FireFox, but in IE everything is working properly.

I have a path names that look like this   '../image5/'  and  '../image5/thumbs'. Not sure why it would work in one browser and not the other.  It just recently broke. Not sure it if was related to upgrade to FF 2.0.0.9 or something else.

Whats the URL? (replace dots with spaces when posting URLs)

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.

www rhythmicmom com / rpod   

// rpod = recent pictures of the day   big_smile

I added a new picture to gallery.xml now the new picture shows up, but not the thumb and still X's for everything else when in Firefox  - Version does not seem to matter. Same problem in v 2.0.0.6 which was on the laptop.

Generally I have found that trying to specify the location of the images and thumbs causes problems. Put the image files in the default location and see if it works.

i.e.

your_gallery_folder_01
.........images
.........thumbs
.........gallery.xml
.........index.html
.........swfobject.js
.........viewer.swf

your_gallery_folder_02
.........images
.........thumbs
.........gallery.xml
.........index.html
.........swfobject.js
.........viewer.swf

Regards
Phil
http://www.phillipnorman.com

This is a test -- can I post to this thread?  This is so weird. I tried editing this and post what I want... still get a General Error

Seems to be working...

Regards
Phil

I have a similar problem I think. My images are located in a folder called forsale_img, and the thumnails in forsale_thumb, both hosted at domain-dot-com. So the full path would be

domain-dot-com/forsale_img/
domain-dot-com/forsale_thumb/

The viewer, gallery.xml etc are located in

domain-dot-com/english/gallery_forsale/

so in gallery.xml I specify the image and thumbnail folders like this:

imagePath="../../forsale_img/" thumbPath="../../forsale_thumb/

and it returns big white X's. I get the X's in Firefox but not IE, so I doubt  the path is simply wrong. Are you not supposed to be able to take images from a higher level than that of the gallery.xml, viewer.swf etc?

The reason I have the images hosted outside each gallery is because I share the same images between, say, the english gallery, the german gallery (which each has their own collections, captions etc).

I would suggest you just make two copies of the images and place them as per the default folder structure as I posted earlier.

Regards
Phil

I would suggest you just make two copies of the images and place them as per the default folder structure as I posted earlier.

Thank you for your reply. While your solution would probably work, it would be a huge waste of space (as the images in question are usually 3-4 mb in size each [don't ask me why]). The other main point against it is that it would be a hassle to keep updated, it's not really professional to have to upload the same twice (or possibly, even more). Still, thanks for the input.

If I try more than one paragraph I error out   Arrrrg.

I can't post anything without getting that damn spam error

Thank you for your reply. While your solution would probably work, it would be a huge waste of space (as the images in question are usually 3-4 mb in size each [don't ask me why]). The other main point against it is that it would be a hassle to keep updated, it's not really professional to have to upload the same twice (or possibly, even more). Still, thanks for the input.

While you may think it unprofessional, it is at the moment the only option avaliable to you. And keep in mind simpleviewer is free so you could always buy the Pro version and make the necessary changes to the code for the paths to work.

With regards to your images sizes, if I was going to a site that had images larger than about 200k I would probably give up as it would take far to long to download. You should definately reduce the size of your images. Simpleviewer is not designed to handle a gallery with images of 3-4mb. Use jpg files set to about 7/10 quality, remove all exif data, and do not embed a color profile. All these things add unnecessary size to your files. Also you should be able to get your thumbnails under 20k.

I don't think its much hastle to upload the exact same images set 2 or 3 times.

Regards
Phil

I did buy the Pro version (though I realize this doesn't come across clearly in my post). I do not use SimpleViewer to try and look professional, I use it to save some time (and therefore money) on relatively simple projects.

It's not too much of a hassle for me to upload the same imageset twice, but to a client (and I am developing the project in question for a client, who will eventually need to update his galleries himself) it will appear odd. As for the image size, the problem is the client is a painter (portraits etc), and so he wants his images to be very big. Though I do plan to fiddle with the code to allow for 3 steps of images (thumbs, a reasonably big one to show in the imageviewer, and the full size available via the right-click menu, same way it is now).

I did get the paths working, the paths I have typed in the (edited) post above will work. So I will leave the thread now (sorry if it seemed like threadjacking).

I did get the paths working, the paths I have typed in the (edited) post above will work. So I will leave the thread now (sorry if it seemed like threadjacking).

It's not thread jacking if you've got an answer which sounds like you have. Can you please post again exactly how your paths are set in you gallery.xml and exactly where you images are located. I did some tests last night and still couldn't get it to work so without an answer from Felix I was assuming it was one of those little things in SimpleViewer that just didn't work. There have been several post of this matter so I want to test and provide your solution to others in as clear a manner as possible.

Cheers

Regards
Phil

I am not able to post fully detailed posts due to the spam-prevention-rule that does not allow me to post links (yet).

But say my domain is view-dot-com (you will have to excuse the -dot- things, it's the only way I can post it). Ok, so at view-dot-com I have a folder, let's call it view_images and another folder called view_thumbs, and finally a third folder called view_forsale.

Inside view_forsale is located gallery.xml, viewer.swf and the other files necessary for SimpleViewer, but no actual images.

In gallery.xml, the path settings are

imagePath="../view_images/" thumbPath="../view_thumbs/"

and this works (for me).

So I take it all back! It does seem to be working so I must have been doing something wrong before.

In summary:

Location and files for gallery #1:
phillipnorman.comjulieandbrian
.........gallery.xml
.........index.html
.........swfobject.js
.........viewer.swf

Location and files for gallery #2:
phillipnorman.comjulieandbrian02
.........gallery.xml
.........index.html
.........swfobject.js
.........viewer.swf

Images located in folder:
phillipnorman.comimagesjulieandbrianimages
and thumbs in:
phillipnorman.comimagesjulieandbrianthumbs

In gallery.xml both these paths work (same for thumbs):
imagePath="http://www.phillipnorman.com/images/julieandbrian/images/"
imagePath="../images/julieandbrian/images/"

So going back to the OP (because we have seemed to to have gone off on a tangent); Mike did you get a soluiton to your problem?

Regards
Phil

Using the full path  http://www.domainname.com/myimages/ etc does work in Firefox. So it is good to get that behind me.

Not sure how this all popped up, because it used to work fine with a relative path.  i.e. ../myimages/

i'm having the same issue with firefox, and i know what causes it: hotlinking protection. i don't know why, but you will see that when you delete your .htaccess file all will be fine again. i guess that firefox tells something wrong to the server...

update: it's this line:

RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^$