Topic: Error unable to create directory g1

Hi there, I just purchased the SVManager and love it so far. However I click on the "Add new gallery" link and I get this error:

Error unable to create directory g1 (manager.php, line 311)

Is there something I need to CHMOD maybe?

Re: Error unable to create directory g1

Yep, it looks very much like a permissions issue. I'm assuming that you are on a Unix/Linux server. Check that all your files and folders have the correct permissions. That includes the svmanager folder itself.

Set all folders to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)

Set all files to 0644 (rw-r--r--)

If you are still having problems then change all file and folder permissions to:

0777 (rwxrwxrwx)

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Thanks, I chmodded my entire gallery folder to 777 and it fixed it. Now though, I have another wierd problem. I created the gallery and everything looks good, but I am trying to edit files in the gallery folder that SVmanager created and it won't let me. It created a folder for the gallery called "g1" and I am not able to edit any files within the folder, change permissions, etc. Is there a way I can get around this? Or at least get a code that I can add to an HTML page that will call the gallery?

The most likely reason for your difficulties is that on your server, svManager is running as one user and you are running as another. With this kind of server setup, permissions get a little more complicated.

Can you please explain a little more what you are trying to do with the files in "g1"? Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "get a code that I can add to an HTML page that will call the gallery". Could you explain that a bit more please?

jack

Jack Hardie

Basically I want to edit the index.php file in the g1 gallery folder with my own html so it flows with the rest of the website I am working on. I found a temporary fix by downloading all the files from g1, and reuploading them into a different folder, but I don't want to have to do that with every gallery I create.

Ok - thanks - that makes sense. I'll see if I can think-up an easier way to do this. One more question - do you only have ftp access to your server or do you have any alternatives like shell access or a file manager program that can change permissions?

Jack Hardie

Thanks I would reallllly appreciate it. I do have ftp access, and I have Cpanel 10 which has a file manager as well. I just tried using that to edit the folder but still got the "Permission denied" error.

Can you pm me your email address so if I come up with anything I can email it to you? Might be a day or two...

Jack Hardie

Hi,

I'm having the same issue although I have managed to find where the default template is for new galleries and it looks like editing that gets around the issue as it creates a page with the changes I need.

What I would be interested in is how to gain access to the name of the Gallery so I could add it into the page's HTML. The galleries are named after the person that owns the content, all I want to do is use their name and provide a copyright disclaimer at the top of every gallery. It would be good also to title the page with their name.

Its a great tool though, easy to use once set up.

Regards Alan

Hi Alan

To help me resolve the editing issue, can you check something out on your server?

When a file is created on your server then the server should assign an owner to the file and also a group. Could you please use your ftp program to look at the file information for a file that svManager has created, say g1/index.php and note the name of the owner and the group. Then do the same for a file that you have uploaded by ftp.

I'm guessing that on your server the two file owners will be different, which is why you as the ftp user have difficulty editing files that are created by svManager. But what I'd like to know is if the two group names are the same or different.

If the two groups are the same, then it shouldn't be too difficult to fix it so you can edit files created by svManager. If they are different then it gets a bit harder.

Thanks

jack

Jack Hardie

Hi Jack,

Unfortunately they are different, the owner is different also, the ftp files have the name of the account as the owner and the group but the files created by php have numeric values for the owner and group.

The server also prevents you from changing the owner (they don't allow use of chown) which means that I can't change the group because I don't own the file.

Interestingly I'd set up seven galleries before I bought svManager and imported them from an external folder. They worked OK and then I needed to relocate everything because I couldn't get the php code for the gallery index to work in my own page.

I renamed the application folder, moved the external directories into it, renamed them to g1, g2 etc, deleted the data file and re-imported them again and I can use svManager and make changes manually because I have ftp access to the folders.

I'm happy with the way its working at the moment, I really need to look at how to customise the gallery index.php file so I can get it to fit in with what I want to do on the site.

I did manage to change the html generated by the automatic index creation php script so I could open the gallery in a new window.

Regards Alan

Mmm - your server admins don't make it easy for you do they. Looks like you've worked a way around it despite their best efforts to fence you in.

Do you still need help customizing your index.php file?

jack

Jack Hardie

Hi Jack,

Happy New Year.

I've managed to add some additional HTML code to the /svmaster/index.php so that the window fills the screen, but I had to manually copy that file into each gallery after I deleted the one that was in there. New galleries get the patch automatically.

I'd like to be able to grab the name of the gallery much like you do with the /classes/indexpage.php script. eg. $data[$n+1]['title'] but I don't know enough about what is available at that point and how to get at it.

I'd also like to be able to offer a Prev/Next gallery link too so that you don't have to go back to the index.

If this is possible and if you could point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful.

Regards Alan

svManager 1.0.6 has some additional support for people who are having server permission problems when they try to edit the files in a gallery created by svManager. See the Unlist command in the user manual and also the section on Changing the permissions set by 'Unlist'.

jack

Jack Hardie

Everything worked for me. Same problem in the beginning, but Permission solved it big_smile

[url=http://www.rusdisko.com][img]http://rusdisko.com/images/150x175.jpg[/img]
[b][color=DarkRed]©UNBEARABLE[/color][/b]
www.rusdisko.com[/url]