Topic: Session error

After installing svManager and changing all of the permissions on the directories and files to 777, I log in successfully with the default user and password. 

But, I get this error:

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: open(/var/lib/php/session/sess_0pb9c6s2kgi6ssnjffbhakr8k1, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) (auth.php, line 44)

I cannot change the password or username.  Can anyone tell me what I need to change to make this work?

Thanks.

Re: Session error

Looks like your server is not properly set-up for sessions. svManager is bombing out as soon as it tries to start the session.

Are you by any chance on a PowWeb shared host? If you are then take a look at http://www.powweb.com/knowledgebase/rea … ?kbid=3439

Otherwise please ask your server support people what you need to do so a php application can start a session.

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Anybody else have this issue...tried changing permissions and calling my provider...anything?

So after talking with the help desk folks at IPOWER, changing the php.ini to work with sessions, this is the problem as of now:  svManager is written to save the php session files to a directory that they can not make writeable.  BTW I was able to install no problem to another server.  Am I going to have to change hosts, or is there a way to fix this issue - edit the code so that svManager writes sessions to a different directory...?

Actually, svManager does not determine where to save the session files. It just uses the location set in php.ini. If you could answer a few questions it might help to pin-down the problem and give you some more information to go back to your help desk.

Is this a windows server or Unix/Linux?
What version of php are you running?
What is the value of the session.save_path directive in php.ini?

If you have any trouble answering these questions then download the free svManager compatibility test from the Airtight Interactive web site and install it on your server. In addition to the test itself, the test folder contains a script called phpinfo.php which will list-out the contents of your php.ini file. It might be worth doing this as a check anyway because it will give you the contents of the .ini file that php is actually using – sometimes there are php.ini files scattered all over the server and only one of them is actually in use.

jack

Jack Hardie

Hope this helps, thanks for the response

Linux server
php version 4.7
session.save_path = /home/users/web/b1690/ipw.(myusername)/sessions
(although this is just the latest version - have been messin with this for about a day now)
another version of session.save_path =
/home/users/web/b1690/ipw.(myusername)/public_html/cgi-bin/tmp

the only info I got from the phpinfo.php (even after running the test) was:
phpinfo.php = <?php
echo phpinfo();
?>
support could only reference the php.ini that I am able to modify from my control panel
what hosting company would you suggest if this won't work?  they want to charge $75 to fix

let me know if I need to get you anymore info

thanks,
garrett

Did you run the phpinfo.php script in your browser – that's what you need to do – you should get a long screenful of stuff.

Either of your two session.save_path settings should work, assuming that the directories exist and have the correct permissions so the web server can read and write to them. Can you see the directories from an ftp program and can you read the permission settings?

Really, your hosting company should sort this stuff out for you or at least give you some clear advice – it shouldn't be too much to ask to get basic sessions working.

Sorry but I can't recommend a hosting company because I don't think we're in the same part of the world – I'm in the UK.

jack

Jack Hardie

Thanks for your help Jack...it's fixed, but I couldn't tell you what did it.  I had played with the session.save_path plenty, deleted and re-installed the application plenty, told them what I was seeing in the phpinfo.php file, and all of the sudden the tech support guy didn't get an error message.  ?  Wish I could post a solution for IPOWER users, but it looks like it was a combination of just messing with stuff.  It works now.
Thanks,
Garrett