Topic: Error occured. Statuscode 401

Hi guys,

After an initial succesfull set-uop of a first gallery, i now get this message when trying to upload pictures. Looking at the format it seems to be SVmanager specific

I've checked and changed practically all authorisationas on the FTP server but nothing seems to help.

Anybody familiar with this error and what to do about it?

Stefan
The Netherlands

Re: Error occured. Statuscode 401

OK, I found it out. It is probably because of the password protecttion I added using the .htaccess file. SVmanager can't upload the files then since the directory is protected with a username and password.

Removing the username and password resolved the issue.

The question then is: how can I best password protect galleries made by SVmanager and still enable SVmanager to work properly? Anybody?

Thanks,
Stéfan

Hi guys,

After an initial succesfull set-uop of a first gallery, i now get this message when trying to upload pictures. Looking at the format it seems to be SVmanager specific

I've checked and changed practically all authorisationas on the FTP server but nothing seems to help.

Anybody familiar with this error and what to do about it?

Stefan
The Netherlands

SvManager's own security system is designed to keep unauthorised people out of the admin functions but let everyone view the galleries. I can't think of an easy way to create what is in effect a permissions system with two different levels of access – admin and view – and two different passwords.

However, here are a few thoughts that might help.

The way the upload process works is this. The java applet uploads the images into the server's default temporary directory. It then calls a php script (myupload.php) that runs a few checks on the image files and then copies the images into a folder inside your gallery. I guess this script was hitting your password protection. The script will be running under your web user.

I'm not an expert on .htaccess but would it be possible to modify the .htaccess file to grant the web user access as well as your authorised users while keeping everyone else out?

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.

As I protect the svmanager dir with .htaccess mecanism, I also encounter this error. Here, I think this is because the java applet first upload the file somewhere in the svmanager dir, which is locked (final gallery dir is not locked).

Where is this temp. dir? Is it possible to customize it, and point to /tmp, for example?

Thanks,

The java applet uploads to the server's default temp directory, set by the server itself. This would not be inside the svmanager directory. The uploaded files are then copied to the appropriate gallery directory, for instance svmanager/g1/images.

So I would double-check that it's not some permissions problem with the default temp directory

It might also be worth checking the setting of the upload_tmp_dir directive in your php.ini file (normally set to null) although I don't think this value affects the java applet.

However I'd guess that the real problem is happening when the php script tries to copy the files from the server temp directory to the gallery directory and it hits your security system.

jack

Jack Hardie

I'll check the default temp... But the final gallery folder is *outside* my svmanager directory locked by .htaccess. So, it should not be a problem. Except if you always first copy from temp dir to svmanager/g1/images, then to my final dir... Is it the case?

If you have used the svManager import screen to import your external gallery or if you have created a gallery in svManager and then moved it by changing the path on the customize screen then svManager will know where to find it. It should copy uploaded files directly from your temp directory to the images subdirectory of your gallery directory.

jack

Jack Hardie

Ok.

I'm pretty bummed about this; a lot of attacks nowadays are being done robotically and are either brute-force or attacking specific vulnerabilities in code.

While I'm pretty confident I can set up a reliable password using .htaccess, and lock it down to my specific host, now I'm stuck with basically having to trust svmanager's security system - something I am highly disinclined to do with PHP code. It's really a bad bad bad bad bad (did I say "bad" enough times?) idea to code so that you're defeating other security systems. I've seen hundreds of programmers who thought they could get it right and didn't. sad

Just for example, if I could put my .htaccess file in front of svmanager, it'd be possible for me to hide the fact that it's svmanager running in that directory. That'd be a huge win because (as I said earlier) the usual modus hack is to find a vuln in something and just start scanning www-whatever for that app. If there's a vuln found in svmanager, we're all toast in 24 hours.

This is a major mis-feature. Bleh.

As far as I know, there is just one aspect of svManager that will not work with .htaccess security and that's the file uploader. The uploader is a third party app. – I've lobbied the vendor to provide .htaccess support and they say it's 'on the todo list' – no date given.

So at the moment, if you want to use .htaccess security then you'll have to upload your images via ftp and then run a gallery rebuild to create the thumbnails and add the new image data to the xml file.

jack

Jack Hardie