Topic: republishing autoviewer.swf with Flash 8 not working

I've tried to make a simple change to the autoviewer.swf file (changing the Options.as file to autoPlay on start) and when I open up the autoviewer.fla file from my purchased pro folder and simple republish in order to create a new autoviewer.swf file with autoplay enabled, my gallery, within the html page shows no images.

When I swap back in the autoviewer.swf file that was originally working everything is fine.

Is something happening during the republish of the autoviewer.swf file that is causing an error. I assume you can just make changes and republish the autoviewer.fla without modifying the swfobject, gallery.xml and other support files.

Am I missing something?

thanks,

Mark

Re: republishing autoviewer.swf with Flash 8 not working

Do you see any errors in the output window when you publish your swf?

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.

no errors mentioned in the output window. just did another test, just changing the size of the caption type and re-publishing and when i swap out the autoviewer.swf file with the 'new' one the flash won't work within the web page (no images come up, and no controls). yet, when i swap back the original .swf file everything works.

puzzled.

What happens when you do Control->Test Movie in Flash?

Make sure you do not move the fla relative to the 'com' folder when publishing your FLA.

Felix Turner

control->test movie yields a blank gray window in flash. i have not moved any folders from the original AutoViewer folder so the source .fla is still relative to the web folder. Each time I publish a new .swf files shows up as expected in the web folder.

what version of flash authoring are you using? Please check the output window for errors when you publish.

Also, did you edit any of the files? Try reverting to the original files that came in the download.

If that doesn't work, try re-downloading the files. It's possible that they got corrupted somehow during download.

Felix Turner

felix, thanks for your help so far. i see no errors in the output window - actually no record at all shows up. i am using flash pro 8. i'll try reverting back to the original .fla file and try again. would not be good to not be able to make changes to the .fla file after purchasing for that reason. i'll let you know after my next try.

just tried editing the autoviewer.fla movie again (smaller caption size, no logo) using a freshly downloaded autoviewer_pro folder. Same thing, when i swap out the modified file for the standard autoviewer.swf file, the page will not play the flash movie when reloaded. one thing i noticed is after the file is written into the 'web' folder, he icon is a different flash icon. get info shows 'shockwave flash movie' instead of 'flash document' as the original shows in the 'fresh' download folder. not sure this should make a difference. again, no comments show up in the output window when i publish the file out of flash. not sure what else to try. anyone else run across this problem?

This is quite odd. Did you try publishing the FLA from the original downloaded files with no edits? Are you able to publish other FLAs without errors?

If you are not seeing any errors when you publish this usually means the swf was created successfully.

Felix Turner

Has this problem been sorted? I have just purchased Autoviewer Pro and urgently need to finish a website for a client, however changing the various options in the Options.as file appears to make no difference when I republish and like above I am experiencing no output errors. It's almost as if the Actionscript in the external .as file is being ignored or not imported at all.

Please assist as a matter of urgency. Thanks.

//Crucible

Managed to work this one out myself. Flash does *NOT* seem to re-publish properly when working from a networked drive. Answer: Work locally!

//Crucible

@Crucible: thanks, guy.  This was driving me crazy.  moving the files locally fixed everything.

@Felix: You should put this in your docs somewhere (or sticky this thread) as other people are going to probably face similar issues.