Topic: Dynamic XML builder - need help

Hi all,

Long-time user of Airtight's objects, first-time caller.

I'm working on a dynamic XML builder to work with *Viewers. The PHP script replaces your everyday .xml file. It reads files from the specified directory, taking picture dimensions, embedded IPTC data (captions, geodata, keywords) and builds your XML on-the-fly. Ultimately, all you have to do is drag and drop your pictures into a folder and your job is done.

Right now I'm concentrating on SimpleViewer and AutoViewer. Here's what I`ve gotten so far:

SimpleViewer 1.8
XML generation:
tfitzgerald.ca/photos/imagelist.xml.php?parm_gallerydir=2007-09-Toronto&parm_xmloutput=simpleviewer1.8
Web page with Flash object:
tfitzgerald.ca/photos/gallery.test.php?albumdir=2007-09-Toronto

AutoViewer 1.4
XML generation:
tfitzgerald.ca/photos/imagelist.xml.php?parm_gallerydir=2007-09-Toronto&parm_xmloutput=autoviewer1.4
Web page with Flash object:
tfitzgerald.ca/photos/slideshow.php?albumdir=2007-09-Toronto

As you can see, SimpleViewer seems to be able to read my XML fine. AutoViewer can't. BUT If I save the generated XML into a static file and run it, it seems to work!

Can anyone help? Any ideas?

BTW -- OBVIOUSLY I'm looking to share my code with the community as soon as it's ready for prime time. Maybe even Felix will want to add it to his set of options on his site...

Thanks in advance,

Tim FitzGerald
Montreal, Canada

Re: Dynamic XML builder - need help

SimpleViewer and AutoViewer should read the XML in the same manner - not sure AV would not work.

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Thanks Felix. I've played around some more and I've identified the problem although not the root cause. It seems that Autoviewer is not looking in the subdirectory I'm specifying.

Flash page:
tfitzgerald.ca/photos/slideshow.php
XML:
tfitzgerald.ca/photos/imagelist.xml.php?parm_gallerydir=2007-09-Toronto&parm_xmloutput=autoviewer1.4

The XML I'm generating specifies a subdirectory (the 2007-09-Toronto folder) but if I right-click and say "Open Image in New Window" it produces a 404 because it's looking for the file at the root level.

Is there something wrong with my XML? Any hints on what may make Autoviewer look only in the original folder? I tried looking through the forum but I suspect that some previous problems are referring to past versions of the tool.

Thanks again!

Tim

Autoviewer 1.4 does not use the 'images' folder path anymore. Instead you can specify absolute or relative URLs for the images. Note that relative URLs are relative to the location of the HTML doc that contains the SWF.

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.

I've fiddled around with it some more, and I'm not quite sure what my last change was that made it successful (the only thing that I see is that I changed the xml generator's file name..!) but it works.

I'll tidy up my code over the next few days and publish a link to my code here.

Thanks Felix, once again, for your help!

I'll tidy up my code over the next few days and publish a link to my code here.

Hi Tim,

I'm really interested to see what you came up with. Can you post a link to your code?

Thanks,

Andrew