Topic: Upload gallery to website???

I need some guidance- I was able to create a gallery of an assortment of images to update my website portfolio however I could not or did not know how to send it to my existing website. Can I send the new gallery to my site via svmanager if so, how is this done? And if not, what do I need to do?

Thanks,

Ed

Re: Upload gallery to website???

Hi Ed

I'm not clear just where you are up to. Have you already installed svManager? Even if you haven't installed it yet then you can get a good idea how it works from the online user manual.

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Hi Jack,

Thanks for getting back to me. I am new to svManager. My problem is I think is not having a good enough grasp on how to include the new gallery to my existing website. And although I read the manual especially the parts dealing with moving a gallery on the server, I could not make it work.

My site is based on SimpleView 1.7 and I have several galleries inplace and I am trying to update the site with new image.

Any suggestions?

Ed

My site is based on SimpleView 1.7 and I have several galleries inplace and I am trying to update the site with new image.

svManager is not compatible with older versions of SimpleViewer. If you want to import these existing galleries into svManager then you will need to upgrade them to SimpleViewer 1.8 first. Instructions for upgrading are on the AirtightInteractive web site. Or, it might be easier to use svManager to re-create the old galleries with the same images. Or if the old galleries don't change very often then you could leave them as they are and just use svManager on the new ones.

My problem is I think is not having a good enough grasp on how to include the new gallery to my existing website.

SvManager creates new galleries inside the svmanager folder and names them g1, g2 etc. You shouldn't need to move your new gallery, just add an hypertext link from your existing site to the the new gallery.

If you'd like to give me the web address of your site and tell me where you put the svmanager folder then I might be able to offer more specific help. The forum isn't always too happy with accepting url's in posts so you may be best to send me a personal message via the forum.

jack

Jack Hardie

I took a look at your site – nice photos. And the new gallery you created in svManager seems to be working fine.

Your site uses html frames and Flash menus so it's always going to be a bit harder to change than a straightforward html/css site. However it doesn't look too difficult.

You'll need to create a new frames page similar to the existing ones and link to the new page from the menu. The quick solution would be to edit the link inside this page so it points to your new gallery. It would be something like

<frame src="nw/new/index.php" name="ed" frameborder="no" scrolling="no" id="ed">

A better idea for the longer term would be to change your folder structure.  I would put the svmanager folder in your web root. New galleries created by svmanager will then appear as /svmanager/g1 etc. You can change the g1 name if you don't like it. You can put your frame pages wherever you like and link to the galleries with an absolute link:

<frame src="/svmanager/g1/index.php" name="ed" frameborder="no" scrolling="no" id="ed">

or with a relative link along the lines of:

<frame src="../svmanager/g1/index.php" name="ed" frameborder="no" scrolling="no" id="ed">

This structure would give you the option to upgrade all your galleries to SimpleViewer 1.8 fairly easily. You would just create a duplicate of an existing gallery in svManager using the same pictures and then change the link in the existing frames page to point to the new gallery instead of the old one.

Incidentally, SimpleViewer 1.8 uses larger thumbnails than the ones in your older galleries so you'll probably have to reduce the number of thumbnail rows. But that's really easy to do in svManager wink

jack

Jack Hardie