Topic: New version of SimpleViewer is slower than the old one

Hi,

First of all, if this issue has been posted already, I am sorry.
I have skimmed through the forum but have seen it.

I have just downloaded simpleviewer 1.8.5 plugin for Picasa.
As a big fan of simpleviewer, I am quit familiar with its features and behaviors.
(My wholeheartedly thanks to Airtight Interactive for such amazing program.)

This new version seems to be much much slower  when the images are loaded.
Both thumbnails and the main image.
(It's kinda jerky when the images are loaded.)

First I thought I exported too many or too large pictures so I scaled them down in both size and number of images but they didnt help.
I also tried on both Firefox 3 beta 5 and IE 7.

However, when I copy the viewer.swf from my old project over the new one, the speed increases significantly.
Unfortunately, I have no idea which exactly is "old" version of simpleviewer I used. I have downloaded it long time ago.

Anyone has any idea about this performance issue?
Thanks a lot!

Re: New version of SimpleViewer is slower than the old one

Hi,

SimpleViewer 1.8.5 uses Flash 8's improved image smoothing. This can lead to slow down with large images on slower machines. I've reduced the default quality from 'best' to 'high' in the latest SimpleViewer download. Combined with image smoothing, this gives the best performance/quality combination. SimpleViewer-Pro users also have the option to set the 'useSmoothing' Pro option to false to increase performance.

Please re-download your files to get the latest update.

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Felix,

I have downloaded the latest version 1.8.5 today but it still generate the following error messages when I publish the fla file:

**Error** C:filepath...comairtightinteractiveappsviewerssimpleViewerThumb.as: Line 124: There is no property with the name 'useSmoothing'.
             mLoader_mc.forceSmoothing = Options.useSmoothing;

**Error** C:filepath...comairtightinteractiveappsviewerssimpleViewerImage.as: Line 103: There is no property with the name 'useSmoothing'.
             mLoader_mc.forceSmoothing = Options.useSmoothing;

**Error** C:filepath...comairtightinteractiveappsviewerssimpleViewerStageManager.as: Line 332: There is no property with the name 'useSmoothing'.
             mBkgnd_mc.forceSmoothing = Options.useSmoothing;

Total ActionScript Errors: 3      Reported Errors: 3

What can I do?
Thanks,
Kenny

Hi,

I have downloaded the latest version 1.8.5 today but it still generate the following error messages when I publish the fla file:

are you sure you are using all the latest files? Please delete all your previous SimpleViewer source files, re-download and try again.

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.