Topic: embedding gallery in to my index.html page

Hellooo again....

another problem I've just discovered is that when I type in my domain name it goes to the simpleviewer index.html page instead of my website index.htm...

can one simply swop the html and htm around to sort this??

big_smile

Re: embedding gallery in to my index.html page

ahhh all sorted  big_smile

diddled it and it worked.... swopping them round that is...... was thinking it might mess up code elsewhere but seems cool  big_smile

To get past this, it usally helps to put all of your Simpleviewer files into a separate "Gallery" folder. That way you don't have 2 index files in the same directory and you won't have to change the image/thumb paths.

Just something to think about...

oo yeh that makes sooo much more sense to me.... and had done that....

but when I read the bit about embedding it in one of your own pages it said the files should be at the same level......

I tried embedding from within another folder but it wouldn't work....

hmmm am I missing something?

cheers for your reply  big_smile

Hey again .... still trying to get this to work....

taking the following from the FAQ:

11. How do I insert SimpleViewer into a pre-existing HTML page?

Copy the contents of your SimpleViewer gallery folder into the folder that contains your HTML page. Now edit your HTML page in a text editor. Add this code into the <head> tag:

<script type="text/javascript" src="flashobject.js"></script>
Add the following code in your HTML where you want SimpleViewer to appear. To set the size of SimpleViewer, replace "640", "480" with your required width and height

<div id="flashcontent">
SimpleViewer requires Macromedia Flash.
<a href="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer/">
Get Macromedia Flash.</a> If you have Flash installed,
<a href="index.html?detectflash=false">click to view gallery</a>
</div>

<script type="text/javascript">         
var fo = new FlashObject("viewer.swf", "viewer",
"640", "480", "6", "#181818");             
fo.addParam("quality", "best");         
fo.write("flashcontent");         
</script>

I still can't work out how you do this without having your original html and all the simpleviewer files (inc. it's own index. page) in the same folder.....

for example... at the moment I have it working like this: www.alisonpetty.co.uk ...... but all the files are in the top level of my directory..... bit messy  :?

Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated  big_smile

What it is talking about there is adding the gallery to a pre-existing web page. That means that whatever page you want the gallery to appear on, all the contents from the gallery folder (imagedata.xml, the flash files and the folders with your thumbs and images) need to be in the same folder.

If you gallery is going to be on a separate page (your 2nd index page), then you can put that page and all the gallery files into their own folder. That way you can have multiple galleries easily and nothing will mess with your site's home page.

ahhh cool ..... that's what I was thinking.... glad I'm on the right wavelength.....

so if you want your gallery to appear on your top level index.html..... then ALL the simpleviewer files need to be stored at the top level of my directory?

I've been trying to link the files up from another directory e.g. gallery/portfolio_on_stage/........ 

have tried it with the simpleviewer index.htm page in both that directory and also in the top directory alongside my website index.html.....

but can't get it all to link up either way......

so maybe I've missed something here and there isn't away I can have the gallery appear on my website index.html and have all the simpleviewer files stored away in a folder somewhere? 

really hope this makes sense.... hard one to describe lol

oooo still trying to make this work....

think I've just had a breakthrough in my brain though lol ..... am I right in thinking that the index.htm file that comes with the simpleviewer download doesn't have anything to do with the actual gallery .... and is just the code for people to download flash if they don't have it .... and the simpleviewer credit?

really appreciating your feedback guys...... am sure I can sort this..... maybe it's the heat but I am properly perplexed  :?  hee!

If you gallery is going to be on a separate page (your 2nd index page), then you can put that page and all the gallery files into their own folder. That way you can have multiple galleries easily and nothing will mess with your site's home page.

Hey Jaredspindor  smile   Just re-read your post and realise I've missed something in my reply to you......

it is actually my sites homepage that I want the gallery to embed in to...... (and am trying to work out how to do that without having all the other files from simpleview loitering about at the top level of my directory...... (tidyness n' all that lol)

I think (if I correctly understood what you really want) you should use iframes in your top level page.
or use dynamic webpage, like php

[url]http://www.photoscenique.com[/url]