Topic: New clue on colors lightening / washed out after republish

Hi, I have a new twist, and possible clue on the "colors washed out" problem.  I know you've answered saying there are Flash issues, and ICC profile issues, but after over 1/2 day of changing settings, it comes down to that it changes only when republishing the swf file out of Flash 8

FAQ #28 does not seem to be the answer, it seems to not affect anything.

I'm getting washed out blacks and an overall lightened image in SV Pro 1.8 (not 1.85*) consistently and only after republishing using SV Pro and Flash 8 -- but not when using the unmodified SV Pro viewer.swf file, or the unmodified SV Free viewer.swf file.

I have read all the threads on this and no matter what, the color space settings inside the images used did not affect anything -- what affects the color is the viewer.swf file.

Do you have any clues as to what inside Flash 8 might be changing the way the color is handles vs. the original files, Felix, which you compiled in, what, Flash MX?

I've used the free version extensively, and now my client who purchased the Pro version is very upset that I can't get his colors right -- and he's a graphic illustrator.  It's making me look bad for recommending SV Pro to him, so please help!

Config:
- JPG images from my client using a Mac / CS3 / sRGB color space on output
- I'm republishing your .swf in Flash 8.0 using Flash Player 7 and 8 settings (no difference)

* Using SV Pro 1.8 (just requesting the 1.85 upgrade today - can that help?)

Thank you!!!

Re: New clue on colors lightening / washed out after republish

Do you see this problem with SimpleViewer v1.8.5?

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.

When my client returns Monday, he'll send me the 1.85 files to test for his website build.  He did the online purchase for this project and holds the info needed to submit the request.

I'll get back to you on Monday, we're really concerned about this.  Two other clients have expressed interest in customized  SV Pro galleries, but I'm holding off until we sort this out.

Thanks Felix,
Steve

hi

did this problem get sorted?

i'm having exactly the same problem.

as a photographer its really making me not want to use the program.

any ideas?

Success with version 1.85 so far -- it does not appear to be changing the color values or washing out the blacks.  If this changes I will post again on this thread..

Thanks,
Steve

Success with version 1.85 so far -- it does not appear to be changing the color values or washing out the blacks.  If this changes I will post again on this thread..

Thanks,
Steve

ok thanks steve. my images are washed out, even in safari. i have all my colour space set to sRGB, though if i compare those colours that the slideshow is presenting with those from flickr (both in safari) there is a noticeable difference.

Was this then the solution for accurate rendition of properly profiled images, use version 1.85?

Thanks

A.T.

Also, check the FAQ, Q28: http://www.airtightinteractive.com/simp … r/faq.html

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Thanks, Felix. I checked FAQ  Q28. I'm surprised.

My understanding is that Safari is the only browser that recognizes .icc profiles. Otherwise the default for the web in general is .sRGB. When assembling my previous web site (not using Simpleviewer)  I had tagged my images with .RGB. Everything was going well. I was using Safari as I was checking my loaded images. Then I looked at it again with FireFox and the image quality was all over the place. Same thing with Explorer. I did some research and now convert all my images for web from RGB (the common working color space in Photoshop) to sRGB. Image quality problem solved across at least those 3 browsers. Safari may be a tiny bit punchier but that's really splitting hairs. I open the images in photoshop and the web page in the  various browsers at the same time on my calibrated monitor to compare.

Now someone is using my images on another site and he's using Simpleviewer. They are all flatter and a bit lighter. I have yet to hear which version of the software he's using.