Topic: Custom Thumbnails

I'd like to use thumbnails that I've custom cropped myself because the automated thumbnailing is cutting off the tops my subjects head.

How can I do this?

Thanks much,
A

Re: Custom Thumbnails

SimpleViewer requires square thumbnails 65px x 65px. SvManager crops down to this size and centers the crop. So to create custom thumbnails for portrait images, you'll either need to pad the sides with your background color or take a square crop from the top of the image. Thumbnails should be in jpg format.

Name your custom thumbnails with the same name as the corresponding image file and upload them to the thumbs folder inside your gallery, overwriting the files created by svManager.

Note that the rebuild option on the galleries page will overwrite your custom thumbnails with new ones, so keep a backup copy of your custom thumbnails in case you ever need to rebuild the gallery.

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Thank you Jack, I am comforable following these steps but Im not sure that my client will be comfortable with the FTP Process.

Is there a way to programmically customize the svManager to accept custom cropped thumbnails. Or possible I can be recommended a PHP programmer you know would be able to make that happen for us.

Thanks again,
Amelia

Can you define the kind of crop that you want in a way that a computer would understand? For instance, 'crop out the top square of a portrait image and the central square for landscape'. Or 'include the whole image and pad-out to  square with background color'. Or something similar.

Or is it really a custom crop that only a human being could do, for instance 'crop to include the most interesting part of the photo'?

jack

Jack Hardie

The only images that I seem to notice the problem in are the portrait oriented photos. What I am hoping for is a way to customize the svManager to include an option to add the image thumbnails that we've already cropped ourselves in the same way that we add the main gallery images.

If we named them the same filename then it could put those in the thumbs folder instead of the automatically generated ones. I think it would be worth the effort to develop this as Im sure other have had the same issue.

For example, after adding a image having an option that will allow to select and upload a corresponding thumbnail to be associated with and placed in the thumbs folder.

Can this be done? Im considering going over to Rent-A-Coder if this cant be done here. Do I need any special permission to do this?

A

I think you would need permission from Felix at Airtight Interactive if you want to modify the code – I'll ask him.

I would regard modification to the svManager code as a last resort. What you are suggesting is a significant change to the way svManager works. It would take some time to do and it might stop working if you install an upgrade to svManager in future. We have quite a few enhancements in the pipeline and you may want to take advantage of them when they are released.

So what are the alternatives?
1. Check if you client's server offers a file management program that's easier than ftp – many of them do.

2. Take a closer look at the available ftp programs for your client's operating system. Most of them can be customized to make upload semi-automatic. For instance, I use Transmit on my Mac and that allows you to create a custom icon on the desktop so you just drag a file to the icon and it logs-on to ftp and uploads to a preset place.

3. If you use Dreamweaver, you could take a look at Adobe Contribute.

4. A Google search will reveal numerous stand-alone upload programs that claim to be easier than ftp

5. It might be worth searching on the SimpleViewer forum to see if there is anything that can be done at the SimpleViewer end, rather than in svManager.

jack

Jack Hardie

Thanks for the suggestions Jack I'll start looking into them today :0)

A