Topic: gallery.XML updates on one workstation, but not another...

I have SVmanger installed on a site and I am able to use it without a problem. Uploaded pictures are added to the gallery instantly and everything is great. However, I am only the webmaster. The client that owns the page doesn't have the same luck. When he uploads an image, it is loaded onto the server, but the gallery.xml file is not update. His pictures aren't added until I login and uploage a picture. When I upload it, all of his, as well as my new ones become visable and the XML doc is updated. We are loggin in with the same credentials.

I can't figure this one out.

Re: gallery.XML updates on one workstation, but not another...

That's really weird!

Is your client behind some unusual proxy server or network firewall?

Can you please check exactly how far the process is getting after your client has uploaded some photos and before you run svManager again on your own workstation. Check using ftp from your own workstation so as to eliminate caching issues. You should be able to tell from the timestamps if the files are getting updated or you could download copies of the files and look inside. The sequence should be as follows:
1. Images uploaded to svmanager/images
2. Thumbnails created in svmanager/thumbs
3. svmanager/yourgalleryfolder/preferences.txt updated
4. svmanager/yourgalleryfolder/gallery.xml updated

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the response. They aren't behind anything other than your standard residential firewall. I have fired off an email to have them load a couple more graphics and I'll let you know what I find.

Alright Jack - something odd is going one. The images are uploading, but the thumbnails are not. It also appears that preferences and gallery are not being updated. However, when he creates a new gallery, these files are created. The break down appears to be in the image upload section.

What really gets me on all of this is that it works on my machine and we are hitting the same files on the same server through the same portal. The fact that the images are uploading suggests to me that there isn't anything blocking him because that would be the first thing that a firewall would intercept. Any thoughts?

Thanks a ton!
-Ben

Thanks for the extra information. It does pin-down when the problem is occurring but I still don't know why. After the java applet has finished, it should reload the upload page svmupload.php. The next stage is triggered by a query string on the url: svmupload.php?uploaded=true.

So:

1. Does it look like the applet is finishing properly? Is the client seeing what you see on your workstation, i.e. a pop-up information box during the upload and then the box closes and the page reloads in the browser? Any difference between what the client sees and what you see might give us a clue.

2. Assuming that the upload page is reloading, could it be that the query string on the url is getting lost or ignored somehow? After the page reloads, the current url, including the ?uploaded=true should be showing in the address box at the top of the browser.

3. What happens if your client does an upload and then types in a manual url including the query string: http://www.yoursitename.com/svmanager/s … oaded=true

4. I guess your client is using Windows? Is the problem specific to one browser: IE6, IE7, Firefox, Safari?

5. Could it be something to do with the security settings in the browser?

6. Which version of svManager are you running? It's on the Admin screen at bottom left.

That's all I can think of for now.

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Thanks for the feedback - i'll get with them and see what I can find out...