Topic: Pictures are cut off on the right side

I have created a slideshow and any picture that i took in landscape format is cut off te right right side of the image.  I have tried changing the maxwidth settings, I have tried using multiple different browsers and none of this fixes the problem.
  Has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone know the solution, or what I am doing wrong??

Thank you,

Re: Pictures are cut off on the right side

Upon closer looking... I have noticed that in a few of my images, the BOTTOM is cut off as well...

not seen that before. Do you have an example URL? (replace dots with spaces when posting URLs)

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.

www mjamesphoto info

That will bring you to a page with a few photos.... if you take a look through a few of them you will notice the "trimming" of photos....

All of them SHOULD have either the light or dark border around the entire picture.

Thanx for looking into it

yes that is odd. It may be related to the fact that your images are very large. Try making them smaller.

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.

The strange part is that many of the images have a max size of approx 3460ish....  some of them show up properly, and some dont....

I will try to resize some to see if this helps...

Thanks,

So, after a little more testing, even after resizing the image down... cutting the file size etc etc.... they are STILL cut off....

Any other ideas??

Thanx,

****REVELATION****

Upon even further testing, it appears that when the photo size comes under 1000 pixels in BOTH height and width, the image will appear correctly.

I will be playing with it a little more to find the exact measurements where it begins to cut things off.

Hope this helps!

MJames

I've had the same problem.

DELETED

Mike,

The problem has ONE fix that I could find... And that is to shrink the photos to have pixel dimensions of LESS than 1000 in either direction.

If there is another way to fix this I would appreciate knowing about it... as it is, I have to shrink the size of the photos which is causing a loss in quality.

Is there a way that you know of to have them at FULL quality?

Thanx,

DELETED

Mike,

My images come out in the range of 3xxx by 5xxx px
Im not certain why the viewer would have issues with the larger number of pixels as the "size" of the viewable screen does not change.

i will put together some images that are giving me a hard time and send them to you, and I wish you best of luck, cause I cant figure it out.   big_smile

DELETED

The only problem I have is how to shrink them without losing the quality.... I know that most viewers cant see the whole picture at once when they are that size, but if I do too much dropping and shrinking... then it loses a lot of quality....

Any suggestions?

DELETED

You should be able to shrink the images without any significant loss of quality. You will have to apply sharpening (un-sharp mask) to any image reduced in size. Use photoshop or similar. I would not recommend putting such large images on the web for several reasons: it will slow down the image viewer, it will be too big for any screen so the software has to reduce it in size anyway, people can steal large files and print them. All the images n my web site are either 400x600 (port) or 900x600 (land).
You should also consider contrast and color adjustments and embedding a color profile.

Regards
Phil
http://www.phillipnorman.com

Any program that will condense the size of an image will result in a slight loss... though I guess photoshop would be the best one....

I would rather not do any "other" manipulating of the images (sharpen etc...) as I wish the images to be shown as they were taken....

I am figuring that the best solution is to use photoshop to bring the photo so am image size that is accepted (and not modified in any way) by SV.  So far the closest I can get in regards to numbers is pixel count of less than 1000 in any direction.

Thank you everyone for all your help and input, and if any other ideas/answers come up... please let me know

MJames

It doesn't matter what size your original image size is, if it doesn't fit in the browser window then the browser or simpleviewer will re-size it anyway.
In my experience there is little or no discernable difference between viewing the full size (as it was taken) image on a computer monitor to viewing a smaller version. In fact it is probably better to format the image to the exact (or as close as possible) size that it will be viewed, which for most people's screens would be about 1000 pixels or smaller, and setting the contrast and color saturation and sharpness using the sRGB color profile at the reduced size. You can then control how the smaller image will display and you can set it so that it as closely as possible resembles the original image. And remember it will look completely different on every different screen and in different browsers, some with color management and some without.
I don't think you will ever really achieve an "as taken" representation.

Regards
Phil

Can you post the url to your simpleviewer gallery again please

Regards
Phil

www mjamesphoto info

I have corrected ONE photo (not that it will likely be obvious which one it was)

Now that I have a little bit of free time I may get around to working on the whole thing

IMO the images take too long to download, so for that reason alone you might consider reducing the size. I would recommend  an image dimension of 900 pixel max on any edge and a jpeg compression level of 10/12.
I see the cropping problem but don't have any clues as to why. Check that your jpegs are not saved for web as "progressive" and make sure your gallery.xml settings maxImageWidth="###" maxImageHeight="###" match your actual image dimensions, or rather make sure your images match your settings.

Regards
Phil