Topic: Safe mode off ?

Hi,

my webhotel provider using all servers in Safe mode ON. Is there any way to go around that problem so I can use the svManager? svManager seems to be the best admintool for SimpleViewer.

Hope for an answer.

Thanks in advance // Razer Bazer

Re: Safe mode off ?

Well svManager is the best admin tool for SimpleViewer  big_smile

...but it really does need safe mode to be off.  sad

Some web hosts will turn safe mode off for your account if you ask them. I guess you already tried that?

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.

I've tried that too.. requesting Safe Mode to be switched to 'off'.

This was the reply I received:

Safe mode encompasses an array of different settings; most
importantly it prevents a number of user actions that could lead to
instability and insecurity on the server.

Whilst we cannot disable all of the safe mode settings on your account -
we can disable certain settings that may help your scripts to run.

If you could let me know what error messages you are receiving from your
scripts I will be able to look into this for you.

What do you guys suggest? New to this.

Thanks
Nathan

Yes, most hosting companies turn on safe mode - its called safe mode for a reason.

The exact issue with why svManager needs it would need to be answered by Airtight who wrote it, however given this list:

www php net/manual/en/features.safe-mode.functions.php

it restricts many file manipulation functions which seems to be a big piece of svManager.

I wrote my own php script on top of Tiltviewer (didn't even know svManager was out there).

Brian

It's best if safe mode is off altogether but your hosting company may be able to come up with some configuration that works for you. Here is a list of things that svManager needs to do and that may be restricted by safe mode. I suggest you send the list to your hosting company and see what they can do.

svManager needs to be able to:
1. Create new directories and sub-directories on the server
2. Copy files that have been uploaded by ftp into the new directories
3. Create new data (text) files
4. Read and write to data files
5. Upload image files to the server temp directory and copy into the new directories it has created
6. Delete some of the data files it has created
7. Remove some of the directories it has created

I'd be interested to see what they say in response.

Incidentally, safe mode is not quite as 'safe' as it maybe sounds and it has been discontinued altogether in the latest release of php. Unfortunately it will be quite some time before the world moves over to php6.

jack

Jack Hardie

YA, they should have called it 'safer, but not really safe mode'

My hosting company still has several servers running php4, so yes, php6 is a 'generation' of websites away.

Hi!

I am new to this and dont know anything about programming but i would like to share my exp with my hostingcompany.

jack wrote:

It's best if safe mode is off altogether but your hosting company may be able to come up with some configuration that works for you. Here is a list of things that svManager needs to do and that may be restricted by safe mode. I suggest you send the list to your hosting company and see what they can do.

svManager needs to be able to:
1. Create new directories and sub-directories on the server
2. Copy files that have been uploaded by ftp into the new directories
3. Create new data (text) files
4. Read and write to data files
5. Upload image files to the server temp directory and copy into the new directories it has created
6. Delete some of the data files it has created
7. Remove some of the directories it has created

I'd be interested to see what they say in response.

Incidentally, safe mode is not quite as 'safe' as it maybe sounds and it has been discontinued altogether in the latest release of php. Unfortunately it will be quite some time before the world moves over to php6.

jack

I have the same issue. My hostingcompany wont change their policy on their servers.

I told them what you are writing in your "quote" above. They told me that there are 1000s of apps and they cant do "special treatment" for every cust that has an app. They also told me that the app could be rewritten quite easily to do the stuff you wrote without having to turn safe mode off.

Are there any plans to rewrite the code? If that is the case - do you know within what timeframe?

Regards
Fredric

I can understand that your provider cannot support individual apps that might require different safe mode settings. In a way, we have the inverse of this problem in trying to support a wide range of servers.

I don't think it would be easy (or even possible) to rewrite svManager and confidently promise that it would run on servers with safe mode on. So, reluctantly, the policy is not to support safe mode.

jack

Jack Hardie

Hi,

Sorry to hear that it isnt possible. I would have wanted to buy and use your app.

Now i have to find another solution.

Cheers
Fredric