Topic: newbie setup questions..

Hi,

I'm completely new to simpleviewer-pro and svmanager and have some practical questions:

I have a website set up where I want to include simpleviewer-pro to display the photo albums. The gallery page lists all the links to the different albums. On each album I want to include the header & footer (with a link back to the gallery listing page), so I want to use the "HTML embedded strip" template.

I've uploaded the svmanager with FTP to my server (root), copied the viewer.swf file from sv-pro to svmanager/svmaster/ but am still unsure about how handling the embed-template: do I need to copy all the HTMLEmbed/strip_example files to svmanager as well?..

I've read all the documentation I could find for simpleviewer, pro & svmanager but don't find more detailed info hereabout...

Many thanks in advance!
regards, isabelgica

Re: newbie setup questions..

This one of those things that are fairly easy to do but not that easy to explain. I'll try.

To add headers and footers, you need to edit the file index.php in the svmanager/svmaster folder. This will be copied into your new gallery folders every time that svManager creates a new gallery.

Make sure you have a backup copy of svmanager/svmaster/index.php in case you make a mistake with your editing. Open the file in a text editor and you'll find that it is mostly common-or-garden html and css with some javascript and some php code identifiable by the php starting and end tags <?php ... ?>.

To make your new galleries look like the strip example, firstly add this css code inside the style tags in the header (I've just copied it from the index.html file in the strip example):

#header &#123;
        background-color&#58; #dddddd;
        width&#58; 100%;
        height&#58; 60px;        
    &#125;

#footer &#123;
        background-color&#58; #dddddd;
        width&#58; 100%;
        height&#58; 40px;        
    &#125;

Then add this line of html immediately under the <body> tag:

<div id="header">This is the header</div>

Finally, add this line immediately before the </body> tag:

<div id="footer">This is the footer</div>

You can change the html and css any way you want for your design but don't mess with the javascript or php unless you know what you are doing.

Note that this will only show on new galleries. If you have any existing galleries then you'll have to copy your edited index.php file inside the existing gallery folder, g1, g2 etc, overwriting the existing index.php file.

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Hi Jack,

Many thanks, this was a crystal clear explanation & solves it all wink
The fact that I need to modify the svmaster/index.php was the question.

I think we can consider this thread solved.

regards,
isabelgica

Hello Jack,

I've done exactly what you wrote before, so as to show in any new gallery what the example index.html master page shows, and it shows only the header strip, not the footer. That's a bummer, I've been trying to add a footer to the galleries pages!

I've tried checking on different computers (PC and Mac, both on Firefox) and the result's always the same, the header's showing, not the footer. Don't think that it's a browser issue, since it seems to be a very basic html/php tric, but maybe I'm not getting something.

http://www.seblascoux.com/galerie.php

There's a couple of galleries with random pictures, as a test, and the mystery header is teasing me :-)
The website is a very basic photo website project for a friend and solving that would help my work a lot!

Thanks in advance for your answer, sviewer and svmanager are both terrific tools, by the way.

Have you seen the tutorial on customizing galleries created by svManager?

Problems of missing content can often be solved by setting a fixed height for the gallery. If the height of the gallery is set to 100% then it will push the footer off the bottom of the screen. So look at the css for #flashcontent in your index.php page.

jack

Jack Hardie

After some try and error, that did the trick! thanks a lot.
(i kinda feel stupid for asking, now, though!)

It's never stupid to ask. Everybody benefits from understanding the difficulties people are having.

jack

Jack Hardie