Topic: viewer.swf loaded inside another flash file

I have a flash file that loads "viewer.swf" into it. It has a menu so you can navigate through a number of different galleries. It worked perfectly before I started using svManager, but now I am having so difficulty. My "svManaged" galleries run fine on their own when opened through the php file generated in the g1, g2, g3 folders, but when the viewer.swf is opened in flash something goes wrong. Is something being passed to the viewer.swf through the php file? Not sure what I am missing here.

Any thoughts?

Re: viewer.swf loaded inside another flash file

The index.php file inside each gallery folder passes the usual parameters to viewer.swf using javascript. It's effectively the same as the index.html file in the non-svManager version of SimpleViewer. The only differences are that the background color is put in by php and a random number is added to the contents of the xmlDataPath variable to get around caching issues.

I don't know what is going wrong but here are a couple of possibilities:

Could it be that the wrong xmlDataPath is getting fed to your Flash file?

Version 1.0.8 of svManager and later use SimpleViewer 1.85. Previously they used SimpleViewer 1.8. Were you using SimpleViewer 1.8 before you started using svManager? Could there be some incompatibility with your Flash file?

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the quick reply. I am actually using the most recent version of simpleviewer pro and have made a number of changes to the layout, then replaced the swf in the svmaster folder to the one I have generated. Again, this works fine when opened through php, but not inside another flash file.

It seems to be getting the right xmlDataPah because the correct number of thumbnails flash across the the screen for the each gallery, but then no thumbnail images fills in these white boxes and the main image doesn't appear. Also, strangely the "go to next image" rollover arrow apears on the left hand side of the screen (maybe due to the fact that it gets it's position from the center image which isn't there.)

Could it also have something to do with the fact that I have made my thumbnails smaller then the standard?

Not sure where to go from here...

Looks like I might have figured it out. I think you were right about the xml data path. I put in 5 more images just to be sure, and the original 5 thumbnail rects popped up. I guess 5 is just the default and happened to be the same number I put in.

So I moved so things around and messed with the xml data path and presto! It seems to be working.

Thanks again for all of your help!!

- J

Shoot, I thought I had it, but I am still missing a piece.

I was able to make it work because I temporarily put the "holder.swf" in the g1 folder so I could get rid of all of my file paths to see if that was the issue. It worked, so I assumed that I could just move it out of that folder and change the path, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Is it possible that when the viewer.swf  in the g1 folder is making calls to it's xml and image files that all it's paths are being redirected through the location of the holder.swf that contains it?

You could try absolute file paths inside the gallery.xml file for the image and thumb folders. See the advanced section of the user manual under Relative and Absolute Paths for how svManager can create new galleries using absolute paths.

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Gave this a try, but no luck.

Not sure if the issue is the path from the XML to the images and thumbs, but rather the path from the flash to the XML. Because the "container swf" is not in the same folder as the XML, I believe the "viewer swf" is having a problem
with it's path to the XML.

I think perhaps the "viewer swfs" paths are being redirected through the "container swf" that contains it.

But when I try and compensate for this in my actionscript it doesn't work.

Maybe I am missing something obvious here, but oh well. I am out of time at this point and will just redo the menu in html so I don't need to have a swf in a swf.

Thanks again for all of your help!

- J

This seems to be exactly the same problem I have. I was also into the solution that its possible that the XML "path" should be relative to the parent swf, but no luck...
sad