Topic: Uploading files

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, using svmanager for a couple of weeks. Here is some questions:

1) Is there a way to remove the 2MB limitation when uploading files using the java applet ?

2) Is it possible to avoid the upload java applet to reset to home dir after each upload?

Thanks,

Re: Uploading files

The 2MB limit is set by your server but you may be able to change it. Here is the relevant extract from the svManager user manual:

The file size limit on the upload screen is calculated from the values of two configuration directives in the php.ini file on your server: post_max_size and upload_max_filesize. The memory limit is the lesser of these two values.

If you have access to the php.ini file then you can increase the values of these two directives. If you are changing them substantially then you may also want to increase the value of max_execution_time and max_input_time to prevent your script from timing-out before it runs out of memory. Time-out errors will show as a server error during the upload process and the upload will be cancelled.

Some web hosts allow you to change things in the php.ini, some don't, some will change things if you ask them. Also some web hosts support php5 which may have a more generous configuration.

I'm not sure what you mean by the second question. Could you explain a bit more please.

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.

As we administrate our own web server, no problem to change anything in php.ini file wink

For the second question, I mean that when you upload files, the applet always opens the home dir as default dir. So, if you have to choose another dir, next time you open the applet, it is lost. It would be nice if it could open the last dir...

Thanks for your help.

Sorry but I'm still not getting the point with question 2. When you are on the upload screen, you'll always upload to the gallery you are currently editing. It will stay that way until you go to the galleries screen and change the current gallery. So try me again with your question...

jack

Jack Hardie

Sorry: I'm not talking about destination dir, but *source* dir, where you choose your images to upload. You can navigate anywhere on your filesystem, but once files are uploaded, next time you open the applet, it points to your home dir again.

Ah – got it!

I guess I wasn't thinking this way because I usually drag and drop files from my source directory onto the applet and I rarely use the file dialogue.

I'll have a look to see if it's possible but I've run out of time today, so I'll get back to you.

Cheers

jack

Jack Hardie

Thanks, and take your time: it is not very urgent...

BTW, drag'n'drop does not work for me (under linux).

I can't find a way to set the source directory.

I'd be happy to take-up the drag and drop issue on Linux with the applet experts since afaik it should work. If you'd like me to do that then please send the details of your installation and the browser you are using.

jack

Jack Hardie

I'm using debian distribution, with KDE3. I tried in konqueror and firefox. I also tried from different sources (konqueror, Desktop, geeqie and some other viewers), without success.

It seems that the applet does not support drag and drop on Linux clients. It's said to be because of limitations in the Linux java implementation. Apparently some "small improvements" for Linux will be made in the next release of the applet.

jack

Jack Hardie

Ok. Let's wait wink