Topic: Simple Veiwer in HTML Page

hi im trying to add a simple viwer to a html page but for some reason it will not show up

here is the link:

designhousestudios (dot) co (dot) uk

its on the childrens book page - not sure what i am doing wrong.

many thanks sarah

update - I have viewed the page on my mac in safari and it works fine.
its just internet explorer - keeps coming up with message - Internet Explorer cannot open the website. Operation aborted.

I have read about hotlink protection issuse (still not understanding too much) but if I want to delete my hotlink protection how do i do it. and where do i find it big_smile

update - 2 days on and im still having problems with this  - if anyone could help would be greatly appreciated javascript:emoticon(':D')

Re: Simple Veiwer in HTML Page

hi im trying to add a simple viwer to a html page but for some reason it will not show up

here is the link:

designhousestudios (dot) co (dot) uk

its on the childrens book page - not sure what i am doing wrong.

many thanks sarah

update - I have viewed the page on my mac in safari and it works fine.
its just internet explorer - keeps coming up with message - Internet Explorer cannot open the website. Operation aborted.

I have read about hotlink protection issuse (still not understanding too much) but if I want to delete my hotlink protection how do i do it. and where do i find it big_smile

update - 2 days on and im still having problems with this  - if anyone could help would be greatly appreciated javascript:emoticon(':D')

Hotlinking:

If you host a website, you have most likely been the victim of hotlinking at one time or another. Hotlinking is when someone displays your images (or other media) on their website by directly linking to your server. This means they get to display your files while your bandwidth is being used.
Sometimes server-hosts disable hotlinks themselves

I don't think that is the case....

Is the path correct? Is your html-page 2 levels up from 'gallery.xml?
Your codes say so....:
(/sampleportfoliogallery/gallery.xml)

I get in firefox: "gallery not found" so the path must be wrong...

You must check if the structure of your folders are the same as in your coding; (the file has to be in the same place as where you point to) and upload it exactly so to the server.

Par example:
Folder 'sampleportfoliogallery' containing:
  Folder 'simpleviewer' containing: gallery.xml, index.html, swfobject.js, viewer.swf and 2 folders: images and thumbs

In html you must have, in this case: //fo.addVariable("xmlDataPath", "gallery.xml"); because gallery.xml is on the same level as index.html

In which folder your index.html is, you have to point to the correct folder in order to find the gallery.

Hi Cat
I have been following your advise and have a look at my paths. I am still having problems though.

now i am getting white crosses

I should mention that both sv are embedded on seperate html pages.

the new code can be seen on the sample portfolio page here:
www dot designhousestudios dot co dot uk

my folder are set up as follows:

root folder:

viewer.swf
thumbs (thumbs for original gallery -childrens books)
swfobject.js
sampleportfoliogallery (in here are the sv files for the newest gallery see below)
sampleportfolio.html
print.css
index.html
images2 (images within the website generally)
images (images for initail gallery - childrens books)
gallery.xml
contact.html
clientlogin.html
childrensbooks.html
bg.gif
andreas01.css
aboutus.html

sampleportfoliogallery folder contains:
viewer.swf
thumbs
swfobject.js
readme.txt
index.html
images
gallery.xml

im really keen to get this working and really appreciate your help!
sarah

Hi sugar

That will never work because:

Every folder with: gallery.xml, index.html, swfobject.js, viewer.swf and 2 folders: images and thumbs  MUST be in a unique place, you can never have 2 .html pages or viewer.swf or whatever simpleviewer contains on the same level.

What you must do is the following:
Your root must ONLY contain:

Call the root: 'website' with:

Folder: images (images within the website generally)
sampleportfolio.html (is this the same as the index.html which contains the photos? If yes, you don't need it here, you can change the index.html in the folder 'sampleportfoliogallery' but then you need to adjust everything in the codes)
print.css
index.html
contact.html
clientlogin.html
childrensbooks.html
bg.gif
andreas01.css
aboutus.html

FOLDER: sampleportfoliogallery
With
Folder: images (images for initail gallery - childrens books)
Folder: thumbs (thumbs for original gallery -childrens books)
viewer.swf
swfobject.js
index.html
gallery.xml

Now: to display the gallery (which is in the folder sampleportfoliogallery)  from the main page you put the following code in the main index.html:
<a href="website/sampleportfoliogallery/index.html"></a> That way, if you click the link to the gallery from the main page, it will display the whole gallery

You also can go and see how I've done it: www dot lingerieannemarie dot be, I used 3 times simpleviewer on the main page: Badmode, Lingerie and Nachtkledij, you can view the entire codes by looking at the source of the page.

Every button (3) has its own folder, with ONLY the content like above folder 'sampleportfoliogallery'

when you put it like that - simple!
thank you - very well explained!
website is now working! -much appreciated!
Thank you for your time

You're most welcome wink

Hi folks,

I've been trying to track down why my Simple Viewer within an html page isn't working, and so far THIS thread has been the most helpful.

My site isn't online yet as I was hoping to resolve the issue before uploading it.

After following TheCat's instructions above, about putting the gallery in a subfolder it is showing well, BUT now i've lost the css page styling...

Unfortunately if I put the Styles.css file into the gallery folder I lose the gallery again (in Opera I lose it, in FireFox the thumbnails are there, but the main pics aren't, in IE the thumbnails and main pic are there but only the top quarter of the main pic and you can't scroll down to the rest... oh and in FF and IE there are black chunks down the left and right edges of the page)

Sooooo is there any way of using the gallery within a css styled page???

All I can think is that the styling (includes header image, links buttons etc and their locations) conflicts with the gallery somehow. :?:

EDIT:  I'm using the manual version of SimpleViewer, with the downloaded zip file from this site.

Sooooo is there any way of using the gallery within a css styled page???

I don't think so......maybe with the version SimpleViewer-Pro?

the only css code you can use inside the index.html that contains your gallery is inline styling like this:

<style type="text/css">    
    /* hide from ie on mac */
    html &#123;
        height&#58; 100%;
        overflow&#58; hidden;
    &#125;

#flashcontent &#123;
        height&#58; 100%;
    &#125;
    /* end hide */

body &#123;
        height&#58; 100%;
        margin&#58; 0;
        padding&#58; 0;
        background-color&#58; #b22222;
        color&#58;#ffffff;
        font-family&#58;sans-serif;
        font-size&#58;20;
    &#125;

img &#123;
border&#58; 0px;
&#125;

</style>

Inside gallery.xml you cannot put other codes....besides changes for:

maxImageWidth="480" 
maxImageHeight="480" 
textColor="0xFFE4B5" 
frameColor="0x8B0000" 
frameWidth="5" 
stagePadding="0" 
navPadding="40" 
thumbnailColumns="3" 
thumbnailRows="3" 
navPosition="right" 
vAlign="center" 
hAlign="center" 
title="Badmode" 
enableRightClickOpen="false" 
backgroundImagePath="images/slice-gradient.gif" 
imagePath="images/" 
thumbPath="thumbs/"

I tried to put my whole design also on the galleries and this doesn't work...

Example: see my layout here:

http://www.lingerieannemarie.be/

and one of my galleries here:
http://www.lingerieannemarie.be/lingeri … gerie.html

You see that my layout isn't the same on both pages....

Hmmmm, that's a pity, but I'm pleased to have figured it out myself and have it confirmed, since this is the first site I've done.

Well, I'll be doing it as you have- html coded page with suitable elements to make it look similar to the rest of my pages.

is there any way of using the gallery within a css styled page???

Yes you can put a simpleviewer gallery into any kind of HTML page and use any kind of CSS styling. Check the FAQ, Q11: http://www.airtightinteractive.com/simp … r/faq.html

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Hi Felix, thanks for the reply.

Actually those are the instructions I followed for putting it into an html page, but that's when it stopped working.

Is there any way I can post a screen cap here to show the difference between the manually made page and the one where I followed Q11 and put the gallery into the page I'm using from a template (the one with the css in it)? 

Thanks again.

you can post urls. replace dots with spaces.

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.

I've worked around it, no I couldn't get it to show the rest of the page the way it was coded in my template with css in it.

SO I screen capped the image header on my page, the one with the main page links in a bar across the base of it

Then opened Gimp and image mapped those button locations

Saved the code for them and pasted them into the web page

It works now, not quite how I wanted it but not too bad

The bit that is missing is that now the gallery page has no H1 heading on it, nor my catch phrase as they are pieces of the image, so fooey on the search engine optimisation for that page.

I've put screen caps of the two versions of my gallery at the following
www flickr com/photos/21695447@N03/?saved=1

One shows the page I created using SimpleViewer in HTML... you'll see that it doesn't show the gallery.  This page uses css for styling.  It retains the main image and link buttons I want to use.

The other shows the gallery I created using SimpleViewer and following the Manual instructions, so it is just the gallery, no other page stuff. 

(I havent' shown the third option which I'm having to go with at the mo- uses screen cap of how I want the top of the page and image map to act as link buttons- not how I really want it to work)

I've put screen caps of the two versions of my gallery at the following
www flickr com/photos/21695447@N03/?saved=1

One shows the page I created using SimpleViewer in HTML... you'll see that it doesn't show the gallery.  This page uses css for styling.  It retains the main image and link buttons I want to use.

The other shows the gallery I created using SimpleViewer and following the Manual instructions, so it is just the gallery, no other page stuff. 

(I havent' shown the third option which I'm having to go with at the mo- uses screen cap of how I want the top of the page and image map to act as link buttons- not how I really want it to work)

jevvv,

Hi, I like the look of you site and subject matter shown in the fickr image, can you post the U R L so we can have a look.

Cheers.

Thanks for the interest Ratty, I'll be getting it live once I've finished it... sometime this next week I hope wink

Here's my site, now it's online.

You'll see that I ended up munging the gallery page to make it work... it wouldn't when I put all the gallery stuff in my standard layout, so ended up putting it into a blank, with a mapped image for the title/header/standard links across the top - I'm not really happy having it that way, but at least it goes sad

www mission-adventure org nz    -putting dots in spaces

Latest update folks:

I did all the stuff in the instructions for Manual SimpleViewer, and Q11 of the FAQ, including just copying and pasting the stuff from http://www.airtightinteractive.com/simp … /embedded/

I am sure that this is all what I have done before...

BUT now it works!

<doing a happy dance>

Will post link when the updated version is online.

It's UP

It's RUNNING!

You can check it out now:
www mission-adventure org nz

and the gallery is at:
www mission-adventure org nz/gallery html

smile