Topic: SWF (driven with xml) can't be viewed in SVpro?

I have a problem that I hope someone can help me with. I have gone thru the majority of all the posts in the forum but so far nothing that really helps me. Have tried a few solutions from some posts here that I thought might make a difference, but nothing has been helpful.

My problem is that when I try to load a swf file in the gallery it just wont load it. But then I realized that it's a difference between a swf file and a swf file. A simple swf loads fine, but when I try to load a swf file (another image gallery for example) that load it's images from another xml file it just wont load it. First I thought it might just be that the image paths was wrong but after trying to change them a couple of 100 times it didn't make any difference.

It finds the thumb image (I changed it from jpg to swf), but the swf file itself wont show.

So my question is this: Is there a solution for this or is this something that can't be done.

cheers

Re: SWF (driven with xml) can't be viewed in SVpro?

Can you give more details or a test web site so we could see what you are trying to do.

Basically the SWF file is called within a HTML page. If you want to call another SWF, have the first one to call that other page. And put that other page in a different folder than the first one.

If you have a page with the possibility to load more than one gallery, it's the same thing - each gallery should be in their own folder.

The problem is very simple, I just want to use .swf files instead of .jpg files in the gallery viewer. But if I use a swf file that loads it contents from an .xml file then it doesn't work. It only works if the file is a simple swf file where no xml file is used. So if someone has a solution for this I would be very, very happy  big_smile

I'm not sure though if it's just that the imagepaths in the xml file is wrong, but then again I have tried to change it so many times and it just won't work.

Cheers

Do you mean that you want to load another gallery by clicking on an image in the thumbnail area ?

Hi again,

Yes, that is exactly what I want. But I can't make it work with a swf.file that loads it's images from an .xml file.

The thing is that simpleviewer show images... it does not load clips (swf).

I tried it several ways, it cannot be done within simpleviewer.

If you're really good at Flash and actionscript, you can code it  :shock:  roll  , but the easiest way is to create a html page showing your thumbnails, and each of them will call a specific galleries. Or use the sample to create a html page with menus (buttons) - each one loading a gallery. (each gallery will need to be in it's own folder).

I'm currently working on something doing a kind of gallery portal using the code from postcardviewer - i'm not done yet with it.

oh, kind of figure that, I just hoped I was wrong big_smile
Anyway, thanks for your reply, really appreciate it. Guess I have to figure out another way to do it then.

Cheers big_smile

But then again, it says in the "manual" that it can show swf files.

I will try it again..... and let you know.

Ok..... i see.

In the sample program (pro version), there's an FLA called ''multiple_galleries.fla'' . It does load other SWF under a button - not a thumbnail.

It's like i said in a previous message, simpleviewer loads images not clips. To load a clip, you need to have a loadclip command somewhere - the file i mentionned above is doing it (not simpleviewer) tough it is part of the package.

edit : or Felix forgot to tell how it does work  :shock:

Thanks,

I will try and see if I can get it to work.

Cheers

Understand your point, but take a look at this. (I guess Felix hasn't explained this properly yet. Maybe he will now  big_smile  )

I was browsing the FAQ on the homepage and came upon this:

General
23: Will SimpleViewer load things other than JPG images?

SimpleViewer can load JPG, GIFs, PNGs and SWFs. Any other file types (TXT, FLVs etc) are not supported. SWFs are loaded in the same way as JPGs, just add the SWF filename to gallery.xml. Note that you will need to add a thumbnail SWF with the same name as the large SWF in the 'thumbs' folder (the same as for a JPG).

What exactly does this mean? Correct me if I'm wrong but does it not mean that it can load .swf files?

I'm very confused  :shock:

Cheers

The way i understands it.

The simpleviewer package does it, but not the simpleviewer fla. As i stated, one of the fla in the package does it and you have to adapt that fla to your needs (the sample can only load 2 swf - if you have more than that, then you need to adapt it).

Q23 is very ambigue as per what it can really do. And i have'nt seen one single explanation on how one can replace a JPG by a SWF. And there's no place in simpleviewer.fla nor the actionscript within, talking about SWF - all is image oriented (jpg, gif, png).

Waiting Felix - after all, he should know better than all of us  lol

Yeah, I really hope Felix can answer this question properly.

not sure what the ambiguity is here. From the FAQ:

SimpleViewer can load JPG, GIFs, PNGs and SWFs. Any other file types (TXT, FLVs etc) are not supported. SWFs are loaded in the same way as JPGs, just add the SWF filename to gallery.xml. Note that you will need to add a thumbnail SWF with the same name as the large SWF in the 'thumbs' folder (the same as for a JPG).

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Welll... what is a thumbnail SWF  ... ? Let's say my SWF is called otherlib.swf , what does it mean to set a thumbnail SWF for it. Is it a JPG renamed to swf in the thumbnail folder ? or a JPG with the name otherlib.jpg. From what i understood, the name must be identical at both the file, the thumbnail, and the images. Where do we put the SWF - in the images folder ?

How can Simpleviewer load a SWF when there's no provision to load a clip in it ?

I'm curious to see how this is setup . What will the gallery.xml file look like (<image> section)  ? An exemple would be much appreciated to understand what really needs to be.

Felix, i'll be glad if this is really working (don't get me wrong), but the explanation were just enought to tease and just not enought to really understand the way it was working - up front.

I'm having exactly the same issue, since one week that I'm trying to load a swf that contains an .xml file, but is really not working, only with simples .swf.

Felix, I really apreciate if you could please give us an example of one viewer that load dinamically others viewer?

The main idea is to make a dinamic gallery of differents viewers. I really like Simpleviewer and I saw this problem in many forums, please help on this.

Thanks in advance !!
Carla.

Ok, I made the FAQ on this more explicit:

Note that complex SWFs that use extensive actionscripting will probably not work when loaded into SimpleViewer, depending on how the SWF was coded. SWFs that only use timeline animations should load OK.

If you want to load multiple SimpleViewer galleries into a container SWF, try using the multiple_galleries.fla example in the SV-Pro download.

Felix Turner

Ok then... it's not ''really'' simpleviewer loading swf, but another fla doing the loadclip of several simpleviewer (viewer.swf) instances. That's was my conclusion several post ago  yikes .

Thanks for the clarification. At some point i though i'd missed something, but it's not the case at the end.

Not sure how I can make this any clearer - SimpleViewer CAN load SWF files. What I cannot guarantee is that the complex SWF files will work as expected when loaded into SimpleViewer.

Felix Turner

I think it's just a wording thing. The Simpleviewer package can load other SWF (given the warning you mentionned above) - that is true...

But not the simpleviewer fla by itself.

Anyway, the basic  for that topic was to have an alternative to build multiple galleries under one flash window. An alternative other than the sample fla (multiple galleries.fla).

Don't take it bad Felix, we're all looking for ways to get more from an already well packed product.  :?

Hey Felix,
I think the confusion is whether or not one can load a swf file that has been created in Simpleviewer or at least is loaded by an external xml file and how would that be done?

Say for Instance I wanted to use the simpleviewer to showoff my paintings but I also wanted to show details  of those paintings, but only once you've selected the painting. So all my paintings would actually be simpleviewer galleries(swfs) alligned in a thumbnail grid on the left in an Uber-gallery(swf).  Once you clicked on one of those  thumbnails, that sv gallery (swf) would load and another grid of thumbnails would come up on the right. So basically you would have an Uber sv gallery(swf) loading other xml driven galleries(swfs)
I believe the confusion lies with how to you get the xml to work for "nested" galleries. Is this possible and if so can you or someone talk about the file structure necessary to pull it off.
Thanks again,
Derek

Hey Felix,
I think the confusion is whether or not one can load a swf file that has been created in Simpleviewer or at least is loaded by an external xml file and how would that be done?

Say for Instance I wanted to use the simpleviewer to showoff my paintings but I also wanted to show details  of those paintings, but only once you've selected the painting. So all my paintings would actually be simpleviewer galleries(swfs) alligned in a thumbnail grid on the left in an Uber-gallery(swf).  Once you clicked on one of those  thumbnails, that sv gallery (swf) would load and another grid of thumbnails would come up on the right. So basically you would have an Uber sv gallery(swf) loading other xml driven galleries(swfs)
I believe the confusion lies with how to you get the xml to work for "nested" galleries. Is this possible and if so can you or someone talk about the file structure necessary to pull it off.
Thanks again,
Derek

Soory Felix, didn't see page 2 ...duh