Topic: Vertical pics are being resized and resolution is screwed up

I have my stage height and width set at 650 and 460 respectively. My images in my gallery are 600 wide for horizontal pics and 450 for vertical. The horizontals display perfectly. The verticals seem to be resizing and the resolution gets screwed up.

What am I doing wrong? Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!
Janice

Re: Vertical pics are being resized and resolution is screwed up

What is your 'maxImageWidth' and 'maxImageHeight' set to in the gallery.xml? Note that you also need to allow space for the frameWidth and stagePadding.

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.

My max height and width is the same as the image.

How much extra do I need to account for the thumbnails and padding? I tried playing with it last night and making the images smaller (like the sample). It's still stretching them out (horizontally).

Thanks for your quick reply!

Janice

whats the url?

Felix Turner

www belladreamsphotography com/portfolio htm

For example, if you go to the Families and Friends portfolio. Scroll through until you see the picture of the girl in her communion dress and her mom is kissing her on the cheek. Here is the actual image:

www belladreamsphotography com/families_friends/medium/0016 jpg

You can see it got shorter and fatter than the real picture.

Thank you so much for helping me with this problem! I really love your app. I just can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong!

Janice

It looks like you are loading the SimpleViewer swf into a container swf. Also looks like you have changed the stage scaling (2nd frame of the SimpleViewer fla main timeline) This means the SV swf is stretching to fit to available area. Try re-enabling the following code to remove stretching:

Stage.align = "TL"; 
Stage.scaleMode = "noScale";
Felix Turner

That code is set that way.

I think I realized what happened. I had my html code set to put the movie at 100% width. This was because on widescreen monitors, my site kept staying to the left. It centered it, but it was also stretching out my site (thus stretching out my images). I still have to figure out the correct height for my vertical images so it doesn't compact it, but setting the embedded movie back to the set pixels stopped stretching it widthwise at least.

Thank you so very much for taking the time to try to help me! I really appreciate it!

Janice

hi Felix,
I've been having the same problem that JaniceS was having - i took your suggestion and changed the code in the 2nd frame of the Simpleviewer.fla - but my images are still not displaying in the correct proportion.

Do you have any more suggestions please? i've been putting this issue off for a while and think that it could be possible i have just gotten lost in the settings.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Edd

I'm still having this problem as well. It's not the HTML that is screwing it up. If I make the images smaller, it stretches vertically. If I make the images too big, they squish in.

is anyone able to help JaniceS and me please?

- Edd

There are multiple reasons why your images may be getting resized. Please check the FAQ, Q7: http://www.airtightinteractive.com/simp … r/faq.html

In general SimpleViewer will resize images down to fit the available SWF size while maintaining the aspect ratio of the images.

If you are loading the SimpleViewer SWF into another SWF you need to make sure you are not resizing the SimpleViewer SWF.

If that's not it, please post an URL.

Felix Turner

i fixed my resizing problem. if you load the simpleviewer.swf inside a movieclip, then the movie clip must have the same svglobal height and width as each other. also, the height and width i find must be a ratio of 640/420...if you want anything bigger, just multiple it by a ratio.

hope this helps...

I think it is the ratio that is screwing me up. Since my pics are 5x7 ratio, it's resizing it all weird. Thanks unce for the helpful advice!

Hey,
When i import the SimpleViewer SWF into my main site, it isn't loaded into a "container" (as i call them), i.e. its not loaded into a rectangle of any size as a container. So i believe that the SimpleViewer SWF isn't resizing.
the site's temporary site is -> benjiboko[dot]com/index2[dot] under "Photos > Promo" i'd appreciate it if you are able to have a look and suggest something.
if it helps an xml file for the galleries is visible-> benjiboko[dot]com/gallery2-promo/gallery2[dot]xml
thanks muchly,
- edd