Topic: gallery not showing up

i posted this on the svmanager forum last night and i just can't seem to figure it out. perhaps its a plain ol' simpleviewer problem? any help would be   GREATLY appreciated. here are the excerpts of my problem:

-------

been using svmanager for awhile now on another site and i love it. however, i just uploaded it to a new site and i'm having a problem. galleries are made and images seem to upload and all just fine. folders are created for images and thumbs. but from the admin, when i click "view", none of the images show up. i dont get the white Xs or anything. the loader bar goes and then nothing. i've tried reinstalling it and tried new galleries and everything, i get the same problem. any help or thoughts?

-------

i have done the compatibility test, all ok.

i am using the same browser, and i have tried multiple browsers to test.

i have been creating new galleries on the old site no problem.

the gallery.xml file is in the correct place and it's contents look exactly the same as the old ones.

a view source on both the old and new galleries also look exactly the same as does everything in the ftp.

it's very odd (obviously) haha.

i even tried to do it the old school way and not use svmanager at all and create the gallery manually, i get the same result.

the gallery is there in svmanager. all the images and thumbs are shown in the images or sort buttons. and it is in the gallery index. it is just when i try to view the gallery that it doesn't show. the loader bar goes but none of the photo boxes or anything show up after that, just a blank screen (or the little simpleviewer button down at the bottom).

-------

ok, i just installed it on a 3rd site to test out and it seems to work fine.

the old site that works and the new one i'm trying to get to work are 2 seperate domains on the same server. does that have anything to do with it perhaps? i can't imagine why. but who knows?

------

thanks in advance for your help! i really need to get this figured out ASAP!

Re: gallery not showing up

as an update, i have noticed that the galleries show up locally on my hard drive, it's when they are uploaded, the galleries don't show up. i have made sure that the images and thumbs paths are correct in the xml. i have also made sure all the permissions are correct.

again, the simpleviewer loader plays, but the thumb and image boxes never pop up. just the loader and then the little simpleviewer button link in the bottom right. i don;t get the white Xs or anything.

i am able to change the background color on the gallery, but for some reason, the boxes just don't show. weird, it's driving me crazy. i can do the exact same thing on the same server on a different site and it works perfectly.

any ideas or help? obviously it's driving me insane..haha.

thanks!

are you using fetch to upload the swfs? Fetch sometimes breaks swfs on uploading.

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.

no, i'm using the svmanager. svmanager seems to create everything correctly, it's all there. i've even tried the exact same galleries and files on other sites to test them out and they all work fine in other places. it's just this one domain that they aren't showing.

if i copy the "non working" files onto my desktop and run them off my desktop, they work fine also.

i seriously can't figure it out.

i've tried it with the svmanager, manually, and with the buildgallery.php file, and i get the same result with all of them.

i have multiple sites on the same server, all of them will show it correctly except for this one. bizarre. i'm sure it's something super easy and basic (it always is)...haha. thanks for the help. please send all thoughts, i'll try anything! haha.

i mean when you FTP the files to your server - are you using fetch? Try reuploading the swfs using binary FTP mode. Also make sure this server doesn't have hotlink protection enabled.

Felix Turner

ah, sorry. no, i initially use Transmit to upload the "svmanager" files. and the images are uploaded through the svmanager (and i assume the viewer.swf and everything is made from that). but the initial installation files are the only thing i FTP up there myself.

i will ask the host about hotlink protection.

there is no hotlink protection enabled on the domain. hmm.

btw, here is where the gallery is:

www  philcolvintattoo  com/colvintattoos/

not sure if that helps, maybe there is something wacky in the source i'm just not seeing.

your gallery.xml file is broken: http://www.philcolvintattoo.com/colvint … allery.xml

Felix Turner

thanks!
i have no idea what that means, though...haha. sorry.
how would i go about unbreaking it?
or fixing it, rather.

any idea on why it would make a broken xml file here and not somewhere else?

thanks again!

thanks for the help so far, according to your finding above, i have a broken xml file? here is the error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/.nico/philcolvin/philcolvintattoo.com/colvintattoos/gallery.xml on line 1

i have checked the xml file, and it seems to be exactly like my others? i can't seem to find the error, but then again i'm not exactly sure what i'm doing. can someone help me out?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><simpleviewergallery maxImageWidth = "347" maxImageHeight = "347" textColor = "0xffffff" frameColor = "0xcccccc" frameWidth = "10" stagePadding = "10" thumbnailColumns = "3" thumbnailRows = "3" navPosition = "left" title = "colvin tattoos" enableRightClickOpen = "true" backgroundImagePath = "" imagePath = "images/" thumbPath = "thumbs/" navPadding = "10" vAlign = "bottom" hAlign = "center" htmlTitle = "New Gallery"><image><filename>abe.jpg</filename></image><image><filename>amanda.jpg</filename></image><image><filename>beatles.jpg</filename></image></simpleviewergallery>

thanks in advance once again!

Try this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<simpleviewergallery maxImageWidth = "347" maxImageHeight = "347" textColor = "0xffffff" frameColor = "0xcccccc" frameWidth = "10" stagePadding = "10" thumbnailColumns = "3" thumbnailRows = "3" navPosition = "left" title = "colvin tattoos" enableRightClickOpen = "true" backgroundImagePath = "" imagePath = "images/" thumbPath = "thumbs/" navPadding = "10" vAlign = "bottom" hAlign = "center" htmlTitle = "New Gallery">

<image>
<filename>abe.jpg</filename>
</image>

<image>
<filename>amanda.jpg</filename>
</image>

<image>
<filename>beatles.jpg</filename>
</image>

</simpleviewergallery>

I think the problem is that there is not a space at the end of the first line between the " and ?.

hmmm, i tried it, but nope, the gallery is still not showing up. thanks for the try. any other ideas? i'm beginning to think i might just have to give up and go another route. i'd love to keep using simpleviewer though, as i've never had another issue with it. thanks again!

whats the link to the messed up gallery?

here's the direct link to the gallery in question. pretty much any gallery i stick on this domain doesnt work.

www.philcolvintattoo.com/colvintattoos/index.php

or the full page is:
www.philcolvintattoo.com/colvintattoos/gallery.html

i can stick the exact same thing on any other site and it works fine, even on the same server.

thanks for the help!

if you edit your gallery.xml with nano or vim or something what does it display?

Also try taking off the ?nocache=1018924560 part in your index.php

Nevermind that...

Like Felix said...something is definitly wrong with your gallery.xml. Can you post it somewhere where i can download it?

i'll be honest, i hate to say i have no idea what either nano or vim is. when i edit the xml file on my own, i can do it in either dreamweaver or golive. i suppose this is also where i should say i am on a mac and not normally a web designer/programmer...haha. sorry. i'm a print designer.

previously i have been using the svmanager to create and maintain my galleries on other sites with no probs.

here's the complete gallery stuff that svmanager creates. as you can see, it seems everything is created correctly. it even works when running off your computer. it just doesn't when it is uploaded.

i said this before, but i did check with the host and all the htaccess and protection stuff is not on.

here's a link to download the gallery stuff:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/njggjjryx … ryfile.zip

I would try reuploading your gallery.xml file.

What kind of server is your host? Linux or Windows?

If linux try to use nano -w gallery.xml if you have access to the command line. If not, open up the gallery.xml before you upload it in a simple text editor and make sure things look right and then upload it to the right place.

I took the zip file that you posted, extracted it and moved it to a web dir and everything worked like a champ. Here is the link:
http://dev-whiteguardian whiteguardian net/galleryfile/
(make sure to fill in the .'s)

Your tattoos are awesome by the way.. big_smile

thanks. i'll be honest though, i have no idea what im looking at in the xml file. when i open it in a simple text editor it looks exactly the same as it does in anything else. i just can't understand why it doesn't work on that specific site.

could there be something about the domain/host/server that i'm missing?

thanks for the tattoo comment, although they arent mine...haha. but he does all mine. if you'd like to see his work, check out
memorialtattooatl com . if you are into that kinda thing.

and also, that memorial site is on the same account/host that i'm trying to get this new one to work on. as you can see the same thing i'm trying to do works perfectly on the memorial site.

ugh, its depressing me...haha.

thanks for your help, though!

well hot damn, i figured it out.
i used some other "webFTP" to upload the .xml file to see if that made a difference, and there it was, some kind of hidden .htaccess file. no idea what it was used for, but i deleted it and now the images are showing up. whew!

now hopefully i didnt ruin his site by deleteing that...woops!

anyway, for now it seems i can get it going and done!

thanks again for your help!

Sweet!

I checked and your site and his still seem to work correctly on my end.

If you dont mind me asking...what was in the .htaccess? and instead of deleting it you have have renamed it to htaccess.bak or something. smile