Topic: Sort Order of Gallery Index

Hello,

I have a bunch of galleries created with SVManager. I would like to change the order that the galleries appear in on the index.php. Currently they just appear in order of when I created them. I'd like them to be in alphabetical order. Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks.

Noah

Re: Sort Order of Gallery Index

If your collection of galleries doesn't change very often then you could create a static html index page in the order you want. You could lift the generated html code from a 'view source'  of the existing index page, reorder the table rows and save it as an index.html.

I can't think of an easy way to reorder the index page automatically using svManager.

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.

I do add new galleries often. Is there really no way to reorder the galleries with SVManager? This would be a rather basic feature of any Content Management System.  Any ideas?

I've added it to the todo list for a future release of svManager.

jack

Jack Hardie

Thanks Jack. That's good to hear. Any idea about when a new release with this feature would be ready for distribution?

i have the same problem
the more logic order is newest to oldest gallery or alphabetical
and not oldest to newest gallery. if youhave a lot of galleries, its a wish to sort.

we have a good team of programmers at hand. i can ask them to programm this feature somehow. its just an order in xml index file i assume ? some hints of you guys could help to programm this feature fast.

The next release of svManager will allow you to change the sort order on the galleries index page. I will email you a copy of the beta version so you can give it a try.

jack

Jack Hardie

yes please, i give it a try. you can send it to ctek (at) ctek.ch

On a related topic, I have a growing list of galleries, nearly 40.  Is it possible to organise them better, say into subgroups?

The new version of svManager (to be released shortly) will allow you to sort the galleries by name, so that might help a little. The only way I can think of to have groups of galleries would be to have several svManager installations in different directories on the same server but that's not an ideal solution.

Can you explain the problem a bit more so I can think if there might be a solution in the future. Is the problem about finding the gallery you want to edit in a long list? Or is it about the galleries index page? Or something else?

jack

Jack Hardie

Can you explain the problem a bit more so I can think if there might be a solution in the future. Is the problem about finding the gallery you want to edit in a long list? Or is it about the galleries index page? Or something else?

jack

Yeah - I have a growing list of galleries, and it's beginning to look unwieldy.  The new sort feature will help. 

I use SVManager to manage and display images in a local sports club website.  I will typically plan to add up to 20 new galleries per year.  The list of galleries will get longer and longer.

I will adapt a gallery naming convention - e.g. 2009 National event1, etc.  This will help. 

But a really great feature would be to have subdirectories, for example all 2008 images, then 2009, and so on.

Just wondering.

Thanks, that's all clear now. I'll need to think about this one. And it may take a while...

jack

Jack Hardie

Thanks, that's all clear now. I'll need to think about this one. And it may take a while...

jack

Thanks Jack.  If you need any more info, please let me know....

By the way, I keep an eye on the way other athetics clubs display various image galleries, and none looks as good as SVManager, which combines ease of scrolling through many images, with a good appearance and an ease to use for both viewer and image owner.  Well done.

ctek wrote:

i have the same problem
the more logic order is newest to oldest gallery or alphabetical
and not oldest to newest gallery. if youhave a lot of galleries, its a wish to sort.

we have a good team of programmers at hand. i can ask them to programm this feature somehow. its just an order in xml index file i assume ? some hints of you guys could help to programm this feature fast.

Hi,

I would like to know how to order the gallery from newest to oldest.

Can someone please help?

Thanks!

It's been possible to change the order of the listing on the Galleries screen since svManager version 1.3.0. Click on the column heading to sort. If you have an earlier version (see version number on Admin screen) then you'll need to upgrade. You can download the latest version using the same link that you were sent when you first bought svManager. The link is good for 5 downloads. Upgrade instructions are in the user manual.

jack

Jack Hardie