Topic: cant delete svmanager with ftp - permission denied 550

I managed to install svmanager and got it working. I created some galleries and that worked. Now I am trying to delete the whole folder named svmanager using ftp (filezilla) and it is not letting me.

It says, for example:

Command:    DELE t4.jpg
Response:    550 t4.jpg: Permission denied
Command:    DELE t3.jpg
Response:    550 t3.jpg: Permission denied
Command:    DELE t2.jpg
Response:    550 t2.jpg: Permission denied
Command:    DELE t1.jpg
Response:    550 t1.jpg: Permission denied
Command:    CWD /public/www/gallery/svmanager
Response:    250 CWD command successful
Command:    RMD thumbcache
Response:    550 thumbcache: Directory not empty

I think it is only the files and folders which have been created when a new gallery is created or edited - eg folders named g1, g2, thumbcache and their contents.

can anyone explain why I cant delete files off my site using my ftp program or how I can fix it.

Thank you, Phil

Re: cant delete svmanager with ftp - permission denied 550

Your server will assign ownership of the files that svManager creates to the web user. This may be different from the ftp user. You should be able to change the permissions on these files using ftp. If you can change the permissions to 0777 on all the files and folders then you will be able to delete them.

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Hi Jack,

I'm having the same problem, but I can't set the cmod settings either..

error:

[R] SITE CHMOD 777 preferences.txt
[R] 550 CHMOD 777 preferences.txt: Operation not permitted

The svManager unlist option can be setup to change the permissions on gallery files. See the advanced section of the user manual under Changing the permissions set by Unlist.

Many web hosts provide their own file managers as an alternative to ftp. These might do the trick.

There are also php file managers available free on the web but I've no experience of these and I'm reluctant to recommend anything I haven't thoroughly tested myself. A Google search will throw up several of these if you want to try.

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.