Topic: Font size using svManager

Hi,
I am in the process of utilizing svManager for upgrading the web site for my wife's jewelry business.  I purchased it about 24 hours ago, and I think I am over 80% complete it getting it set up for her to use it

The primary reason why I chose svManager is that I hope that it will allow her to manage the photo's without my getting actively involved.  She is not computer literate.    I really like how intuitive that uploading and gallery management is.

However  I need to change the font size for the text captions.   While I know this can be done by embedding HTML inside the caption string, that would require my editing the captions after she was done.   Is there any way without purchasing svViewer Pro, and changing the viewer defaults where I can set a different  global setting for Text Size, Color and Font style?

Thanks for any reply.  (And as I think you can tell it looks like your product is going to save me lots of time.)

Re: Font size using svManager

I'm afraid the short answer is 'no' but here's the long answer.

I guess the obvious way to enter the <font> tags is to put them in first, using the 'Set' facility on the images screen. Then the caption text could be typed-in between the font tags as usual. SvManager will look after all the CDATA stuff for you.

Another approach might be to edit the xml file afterwards outside svManager. It shouldn't be too difficult to pick-up the <caption> and </caption> tags and the CDATA tags with search-and-replace in a text editor.

Apart from that you've made a good case for SimpleViewer Pro wink

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Thanks Jack for the prompt answer. 

I like your suggestion about post processing the XML file.  However it made me think about the alternative of modifying the SvManager PHP code to perform a similar task without requiring my wife to run another utility.  By any chance could you point me to the PHP class that generates the XML? (I promise not to ask any questions about functionality.) 

BTW, I don't have any issue paying the $40 for SimpleViewer Pro.  The bigger concern is that I would need to purchase Adobe Flash.  While I know they have a tbyb version for free, I suspect I will want to make edits after 30 days, and I'm not willing to make the investment to Adobe, given that web design, is not my profession but  just  my way to have a happy marriage.  wink

I get in enough trouble by not giving my wife's ceramics web site the attention it deserves so I don't want to upset any jewelers.

Take a look at the writeXml method of the SvGallery class in svmanager/classes/svgallery.php. It shouldn't be a difficult hack. Note that the code has to cope with no caption (empty string) and captions with and without hypertext links.

I think you know the score on hacks – don't expect much support and don't forget to do it again when the next svManager upgrade comes out.

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Jack,
Thanks for the pointer.  Yes it was a relatively easy hack to to this. I probably didn't make it general purpose enough for anyone else, but it serves my purpose.   (Let me know and I will place the change here, but I'll let you make the decision if you want people to have access to "unofficial code".   Good luck to you on your wife's ceramics web site.

(Now all I need it to get some good quality photographs of her jewelery and I am ready to go live.)