Topic: German characters don't work in filenames

Hi,

i have purchased simpleviewer-pro and svmanager. They work great together but i get problems when i upload images with "umlaute" like "ö" or "ß". In svmanager everythink works. The images are displayed correctly and i can see the thumbnails but in simpleviewer-pro the thumbnails with filenames containing "umlaute" are just displayed as black boxes and the full images don't show at all.

This is how my xml file, created by svmanager, looks:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<simpleviewergallery maxImageWidth = "640" maxImageHeight = "480" textColor = "0xffffff" frameColor = "0x111111" frameWidth = "20" stagePadding = "20" thumbnailColumns = "2" thumbnailRows = "3" navPosition = "left" title = "Werbung" enableRightClickOpen = "false" backgroundImagePath = "" imagePath = "/admin/svmanager_galerie/g7/images/" thumbPath = "/admin/svmanager_galerie/g7/thumbs/" navPadding = "20" vAlign = "center" hAlign = "center" htmlTitle = "New Gallery">
<image><filename>Werbung.jpg</filename></image>
<image><filename>Frontseite.jpg</filename></image>
<image><filename>BHF REKEN Schild_MGL0226.jpg</filename></image>
<image><filename>Bahnsteig und Bhf Morgenröte_MGL0085.jpg</filename></image>
<image><filename>Abendstimmung Terrasse 2_MGL0412.jpg</filename></image>
<image><filename>Abendstimmung großer Saal 2_MGL0361.jpg</filename></image>
<image><filename>Abenstimmung großer Saal_MGL0375.jpg</filename></image>
<image><filename>Großer Saal Tageslicht_MGL0093.jpg</filename></image>
<image><filename>Spiegeldbild_MGL0249.jpg</filename></image></simpleviewergallery>

Is it possible to find a workaround or are these characters not supported for filenames?
Maybe it would help to tell svmanager to encode the filenames like this:
Bahnsteig%20und%20Bhf%20Morgenr%C3%B6te_MGL0085.jpg

What do you think is my best shot?

Thanks,
bas

Re: German characters don't work in filenames

It seems that everything is ok in svManager but SimpleViewer will not handle the umlaut.

SimpleViewer supports umlauts etc in captions and titles but I'm not sure if it supports them in file names. Does anybody else know if it does?

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Re: German characters don't work in filenames

I've been running some tests and it seems that SimpleViewer supports the full UTF-8 character set in gallery titles and captions but not in file names. I've also found some problems with some UTF-8 characters in the Java uploader applet. SvManager (other than the uploader) seems to handle special characters ok. I've reported these findings to Felix and to the Java applet people, so you may get a fix but it might not be soon.

In the meantime, I guess you just have to use a transliteration like Morgenroete.jpg. I know it's ugly, but it's safe.

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.