Topic: color management - is simpleviewer 1.9 in AS3 or AS2?

Hi everybody im fighting with this:
i made a gallery with jpegs with an sRGB profile attached, but i found out that flash player doesnt support color profiles (even if some browsers like safari do!!).
then i found out that this problem is solved with Flash cs4, so i got the trial version and used a suggested script:

stage.colorCorrection = "on";

opened the gallery in safari, after dowloading Flash Player 10...
but it doesnt look working... am i doing smthing wrong or is that because simpleviewer (even if version 1.9) is build with AS2 so this script is not supported???

is there any other way to make simpleviewer handle color profiles, to see pictures the way i want them to show in the browser???

THANKS!!!

Re: color management - is simpleviewer 1.9 in AS3 or AS2?

SimpleViewer is written in AS2. To fix the color profile issue, check the FAQ Q28: http://www.airtightinteractive.com/simp … r/faq.html

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Thanks for your answer felix, but my problem is not solved: i dont save imges for web, i just save them as jpeg, to keep a good quality, and embed the sRGB color profile
But they still dont have the right color when viewed in the gallery!
They look right when opened whit safari in a simple html page, but not when opened in the SV gallery!

can anyone give me an answer???

Thanks a lot!!

I agree with zuellen, I think the suggested FAQ is not a solution. Seems like compiling SV with an AS3 version of Flash (and player v10) is the only real solution. Colour management is an important issue - hopefully it will be properly addressed.

There's a couple of things to be aware of for this issue:

1) Out of all the browsers, only Safari (used by less than 5% of web users) supports color profiles. So if you are saving your images using a color profile other than sRGB, most web users are not going to see the same colors as you.

2) Flash 10 supports color profiles but so far less than 50% of web users have flash 10.

So for now the best solution is to save your images using the sRGB color profile. This is enabled by default when using 'save for web' in Photoshop.

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Firefox is also CM-aware if you install the plug-in. I agree saving images as sRGB is the way to go, but even as sRGB there is a difference viewing images with/without using a colour-managed viewer (whether it be flash or non-CM-aware browser).