Topic: No images displayed

After purchasing and installed svmanager (tested successfully) on my website.  I changed admin pwd, then created a gallery, then added photos.  When I attempt to view the gallery all I get is the black screen.

I used svmanager to create a tiltview gallery

No tiles .. nothing ...

any idea?

thanks

zach

Re: No images displayed

Are you getting any error messages in svManager?
Can you see the image thumbnails in the images screen of svManager?
Have you edited the gallery index.php file at all or the master index.php file?
Create a SimpleViewer gallery in svManager, upload a couple of images and take a look at the gallery.xml file in a text editor. It should look something like this (I've added  new lines and white space to make this version more readable):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<simpleviewergallery maxImageWidth = "640" maxImageHeight = "480" textColor = "0xFFFFFF" frameColor = "0xFFFFFF" frameWidth = "20" stagePadding = "40" thumbnailColumns = "3" thumbnailRows = "3" navPosition = "left" enableRightClickOpen = "1" backgroundImagePath = "" imagePath = "" thumbPath = "" navPadding = "40" vAlign = "center" hAlign = "center" title = "New SimpleViewer Gallery">
  <image><filename>yourimage.jpg</filename></image>
  <image><filename>anotherimage.jpg</filename></image>
</simpleviewergallery>

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.

No error messages.

The images show up in the gallery editor

Okay so really weird ... it's works on my PC at work but not on either of my Intel MACs which I did the installation from last night.

The images are a little funky.  Jittery and flickering.

I've got the newest version of Flash on both my Macs -- confusssing!

So it sort of works in IE but not in Mac based Firefox (3.x.x).

Thanks,

Z

Here's the gallery.php for the simeview gallery I created on your prompt -

the images do not show up in this gallery either.  they show up as X's

====begin=====

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<simpleviewergallery maxImageWidth = "640" maxImageHeight = "480" textColor = "0xFFFFFF" frameColor = "0xFFFFFF" frameWidth = "20" stagePadding = "40" thumbnailColumns = "3" thumbnailRows = "3" navPosition = "left" enableRightClickOpen = "1" backgroundImagePath = "" imagePath = "" thumbPath = "" navPadding = "40" vAlign = "center" hAlign = "center" title = "New SimpleViewer Gallery">
<image><filename>tb_san_francisco_usa.jpg</filename></image>
<image><filename>SanFranciscoRussianHill.jpg</filename></image>
<image><filename>san_francisco_marin_view.jpg</filename></image>
<image><filename>0-san-francisco_master.jpg</filename></image>
</simpleviewergallery>

The flickering in TiltViewer can probably be fixed by setting Max image size, px in the svManager Customize screen to the size of your largest image – width or height, whichever is larger. TiltViewer uses this value to optimise its layout. You can tweak it up or down a bit to fine-tune the spacing. You might also want to know that this setting is used in svManager by the resize option on the upload screen.

The xml that you posted looks fine to me so that's pointing towards a problem with the viewers themselves.

I use a Mac myself but a G5 not Intel. How does it look in Safari?

jack

Jack Hardie

I'll have to check on Safari tonight.

Just an FYI, simpleview shows up wonderfully on my crappy PC at work.  There are no X's or flickering, just a nice tasteful gallery of 4 images from San Fracnscio.

Will report back on Safari tonight.

what could be wrong with the viewers?  That stuff is all packaged by default in svManager right?

Did I get a corrupt download from your server or something?

I guess I should have said "something wrong with the way the viewers are interacting with your particular server".

But let's move on. Felix sent me the url for your site so I could take a look on my Mac. I can see the problem in Firefox on the Mac when I browse to your galleries. Safari and Opera seem ok.

So I took a closer look with Firebug. Your server is returning a 403 Forbidden response when the SimpleViewer Flash file sends a request for the images. When I browse directly to the images with Firefox then I see the error page right there in my browser. I'm typing the image url directly into the browser so svManager and SimpleViewer are out of the loop. Yeah, I know, svManager put the images there and that may be relevant – I'm not forgetting that.

Strangely, I can browse to the images in Safari. This is the first time I have ever seen a server refusing to serve images to one browser and not to another.

So we seem to have some rather unusual server behaviour – where do we go from here?

Firstly, please check that you are seeing the same as I am when you browse directly to the images, i.e. an error page in Firefox and an image in Safari. I'll assume for the moment that you are.

Secondly, I would make a note of the permissions on all the relevant folders and files before anybody changes anything.

Thirdly I would contact your server support or helpdesk and explain that you can browse to certain images on your server in Windows and Mac Safari but not in Mac Firefox. I wouldn't bring svManager or SimpleViewer into it – I'd concentrate on the core problem of the error page. It might help them if you quote the permissions you just noted down.

Next I'd wait a bit before you change anything to see if you get any help from the server support. If not then you could experiment with changing permissions on the image folders and the images themselves to see if you can eliminate the error message.

Is it a Unix server or Microsoft? I could maybe give you a little more help on permissions but like I say, I've never seen this before so I would be feeling my way and this post is long enough for the time being.

jack

Jack Hardie

Jack,

How are you accessing the images directly?  I tried to navigate to /fotos/images/file.jpg (example) and got a 403 and a 404.  Maybe I'm typing the path incorrectly.

I checked out the permissions on /images and everything looks choice.

I'll email tech support and see what's up.

PS ... I got the 403/404 in both Mac Firefox AND Mac Safari.

Here is the response from my webhost:

"Sorry, but this is an issue with your website not the hosting we provide.  We can't trouble shoot website problems for our clients, since we didn't design your site or know the program/software you are using.  We can only help if there are issues pertaining to the hosting or the servers.  This is clearly not one of those issues.  Also, we are not trained in Mac's."

Fantastic.

They were a little more reasonable when I questioned whether or not I should main them as my webhost going forward.

Will update later

Z

The web host came back and indicated they checked my site up and down and could not find any reason why the images aren't loaded on Firefox operated on Macs.

So ... what am I supposed to do now?  I've got a product that is only working for me 50% of the time.

Looking forward to your response,

Z

Hi,

This image URL gives a 403 Forbidden error:
http://www.everheartsband.com/fotos/images/IMG_0068.jpg

Using Mac/FireFox or Safari. It seems like the web server has some unusual settings that cause images not to be served correctly . Possibly related to hotlink protection? Please check with your web server administrator.

Felix Turner

I just took another look at your site (after Felix's post). I'm now seeing both your galleries and the images no problem in Firefox 3.0.10 on G5 Mac and Intel Mac. So what changed?

jack

Jack Hardie

I'm not certain.  I went in to the HotLink protection and verified that it *is* on.

So you're saying you've got both galleries in a Mac based Firefox?

let me verify tonight and we could be golden smile

thanks for all the support!

z

Issue resolved.

There was one setting within HotLink protection that was causing the issue.

Just an FYI, hotlink protection can be used but you just have to enable "direct link" use.  I.e., if you know the exact path on the file server of the image then you can navigate to it or in the case of tiltviewer allow it to use it to produce the image.

Thanks for the support guys smile