Topic: buildgallery.php image path problem

Hi
I have just started using Simpleviewer and am trying to build a gallery and associated xml file using the beta version of buildGallery.php 2.0.0

I am trying to specifiy a relative imagePath by input into the Image Path field of the form but it gives me the following error when I run the build:

Error: the image directory images/ cannot be found (line 227)

The path is correct - if I leave the field blank and edit the generated xml directly and insert the path into imagepath="", then the gallery loads ok.  Interestingly I don't get the same error if I specify the relative path for the thumb path field (leaving the image path field blank).  In the gallery.xml file the correct thumbpath="relativepath/thumbs" has been inserted.

Is this something that anyone else has noticed?
Thanks for your time...

Re: buildgallery.php image path problem

I'm not seeing this on my copy of buildgallery – could it be a permissions problem? I'd double-check the permissions on the images folder and the parent folder that contains the gallery and buildgallery itself.

If this doesn't help then could you post some more info on your site structure and the paths you are entering into buildgallery?

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Thanks for the reply.
The permissions are ok.  I did check that but was pretty sure that it was ok because I can write the gallery.xml and thumbs folders.  It is only when I specify a relative image path that I see any problems.  If I have the buildGallery script in the same folder as the images folder then it works fine.

My file strucure is as follows:

myGalleries (contains the buildGallery.php script, simpleviewer)
-gallery1
    /images
    /thumbs
    gallery.xml

I pass in the gallery1/images to the image path field in the buildgallery form (which should write it to the xml file right?) and edited the script to specify the path of where to put gallery.xml file and paths for the images and thumbs directories. It is obviously finding the images because it generates the thumbs folder and the thumbnails within it. However the xml looks like:
<simpleviewergallery maxImageWidth = "640" maxImageHeight = "640" textColor = "0xffffff" frameColor = "0xffffff" frameWidth = "20" stagePadding = "40" navPadding = "40" thumbnailColumns = "3" thumbnailRows = "4" navPosition = "left" title = "SimpleViewer Title" enableRightClickOpen = "true" backgroundImagePath = "" imagePath = "" thumbPath = "gallery1/thumbs/" hAlign = "center" vAlign = "center">

Does that make my problem any clearer?  Eventually I want to have multiple galleries but only one buildGallery script in the parent myGalleries folder.

Thanks

Janice

OK I can reproduce the problem now with your gallery structure. I'm not sure how easy it would be to fix but I'll take a look – might be a day or two.

But why not just put a copy of buildgallery.php inside each of your gallery folders?

...or buy svManager which is designed for just the the kind of multiple gallery management that you are trying to do  wink

jack

Jack Hardie

At least I wasn't going mad! 
I am building a website for a client so it is up to them if they want to by the svmanager.  I will ask them. I would prefer not to have a copy of the script in each gallery from a maintenance point of view.
Janice

A lot of people are using svManager with their clients, so it could be worth your while taking a look at it. You can set it up so the client has full control over their galleries or you can hide some of the options from them, or of course you could do all the updating for your client yourself, so svManager just becomes a convenience tool for you. It is a single-user application however, so if you go the client updating route then you should organize things so that only one person is using it at once. Otherwise it could get a bit confusing.

Buildgallery is really designed to be used in a simple way with a copy in each gallery. I don't think maintenance is too much of an issue since any future upgrades are likely to be a matter of simply overwriting the old script with the new one and maybe setting a few defaults. It's likely to stay as a one-file application.

Anyway, I will take a look at buildgallery.php to see if it could be used in the way you want to without compromising its simplicity – probably sometime next week – but no promises till I've had time to think about it.

jack

Jack Hardie

I've taken a look at using buildgallery.php outside the gallery folder and it's nowhere near as easy as it looks. I really think it's best for everyone if we keep it simple with a copy of buildgallery inside each gallery folder.

jack

Jack Hardie