Topic: Uploader not working properly after importing old gallery

Hello,

I just bought svmanager today.  It's remarkably easy to install but a little cranky about importing old galleries --  I had to rebuild my galleries using the latest version of simpleviewer to stabilize things, but there's one problem that this didn't solve:

When I upload one image to a gallery (using 'Add Images' in svmanager) , it adds 32 more existing images to the gallery that I don't want to be there.  These are images that were on the server already -- in the existing galleries that I've imported into svmanager.

The only thing I can think of is that the folder that the images are in is called 'large' instead of 'images' -- I do have a folder called 'thumbs'

I'm on a MAC System 10.4.11 using Firefox 3.0.10

Any ideas about how to fix this ?

Thanks,
Seth

Re: Uploader not working properly after importing old gallery

This is a new one on me so could you please give a little more information to help pin it down.

1. Which version and build of svManager are you running? A new version was released very recently so you could be on 1.3 or 1.4. The version number and build is on the admin screen.

2. Could you please describe the folder structure of the imported galleries and the location of the svManager folder. Where are the 32 images?

3. I take it that you are seeing this problem when you upload to one of the imported galleries? What happens when you create a new gallery and upload to that?

4. It might help to see an extract from the xml file for one of your galleries.

Sorry for all the questions but otherwise I'm just guessing.

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.

1. Which version and build of svManager are you running? A new version was released very recently so you could be on 1.3 or 1.4. The version number and build is on the admin screen.

I'm using svManager version 1.3.4, build 090513

2. Could you please describe the folder structure of the imported galleries and the location of the svManager folder. Where are the 32 images?

I have a folder called 'test'
inside of it is the following folders:

images (contains nav buttons, etc. NO SV stuff)
thumbs (48 Existing thumbs for all 3 galleries)
portfolio-3 (index.html, gallery.xml, viewer.swf, swfobject.js)
portfolio-2 (same)
portfolio-1 (same)
svmanager
large (48 Existing large images for all 3 galleries)

additionally there are html docs in this test folder for the rest of the site.

There are 3 galleries with 16 images apiece.  So this is where 32 extra images comes from -- for some reason it's uploading all the images in the 'large' folder: 48 - 16 = 32.

I designed the site so that all of the large images go in one folder and all of the thumbs go in another.  This makes it easy transferring images from one gallery to another -- just use xml to re-route them.

3. I take it that you are seeing this problem when you upload to one of the imported galleries? What happens when you create a new gallery and upload to that?

Correct -- this happens when I upload to an imported gallery but no problem with a new gallery.  I want to convert a photographer's site that has 8 simpleviewer galleries and uses the same shared folder structure as above -- I'd rather not rebuild them all.

4. It might help to see an extract from the xml file for one of your galleries.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<simpleviewergallery maxImageWidth="500" maxImageHeight="500" textColor="0x333333" frameColor="0xA42A27" frameWidth="0" stagePadding="100" navPadding="100" thumbnailColumns="4" thumbnailRows="4" navPosition="left" vAlign="top" hAlign="center" title="Portfolio 1" enableRightClickOpen="false" backgroundImagePath="" imagePath="../large/" thumbPath="../thumbs/">
<image><filename>junot_diaz.jpg</filename><caption><!&#91;CDATA&#91;<b>Junot Diaz</b><br>Slate&#93;&#93;></caption></image>

plus --  15 more entries  -- then

</simpleviewergallery>

Thanks Jack,

Seth

Very clear explanation – thanks.

SvManager expects each gallery to have its own images folder. It tries to keep the gallery in-synch with whatever is in the images folder. So when you upload, it scans the images folder and puts both existing images and new ones into the xml file and creates any missing thumbnails.

So your shared image folder isn't going to work but I think you can achieve your aims without too much trouble. Let's say you have eight conventional SimpleViewer galleries each with its own image folder inside it. There are two ways to move an image from one gallery to another using svManager. One method is simply to delete it in the svManager images screen for one gallery and upload it to the new gallery – everything will be updated automatically. The other method is to move the image(s) using ftp and then run the 'Rebuild' option on the svManager galleries screen for both the donor and recipient galleries. Rebuild scans the images folder and brings the xml file and thumbnails into line.

So how can you get there from where you are now? You could of course create 8 new galleries with svManager or here's another suggestion you could try on your test setup:
- Create an images folder and a thumbs folder inside one of the galleries that you already imported.
- Move or copy the correct images into the images folder from the shared images folder. No need to copy the thumbs.
- Check the permissions on the new folders and contents
- Edit the imagePath and thumbPath in the xml file to point to the new images and thumbs folders. If you use the default names images and thumbs then you can just have imagePath="" and thumbPath="".
- Run the Rebuild option on the svManager galleries page.

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Thanks Jack.

This helps a lot.  I'll try your suggestions and report back.

Best,
Seth