Topic: Upload Results in Server Error - Just started happening

Hello,

I bought and installed SVManager on my server back in February and it worked fine. I never had any trouble at all and passed all the SVMTest tests also. Now I've decided to go back and add some new images to the galleries I created in Feb. and now (suddenly) after the upload progress bar finishes I always get a 500 Internal Server Error. The files were indeed getting uploaded, but then the error would halt everything. (I had not touched anything related to the script or server config since install.)

The funny thing is, I had 3 galleries and 2 of them still worked. I compared my settings and also checked all the permissions in FTP and they were identical. Then I accidentally updated the name of one of the "good" galleries, and it became "defective" also!

I spent an hour on the phone walking through this with my server host, and he went throught the upload process with the same results. No message appears in my server logs, and turning on DEBUG yeilds no additional info at all.

I re-ran the SVMTest script and passed everything with flying colors. I could upload files no problem.

I have since deleted all traces of SVManager from the server and uploaded the most recent version, but I still get this error, now on all galleries I create (even without changing any defaults). I have doublechecked all my permissions on the new uploades accoring to the Installation manual.

Can you tell me what I'm missing? Why would it suddenly start throwing this error?

Server Details:
Apache/Linux -- PHP 4.40, safe mode off, gd2, xml extension enabled

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Re: Upload Results in Server Error - Just started happening

Well that's a really clear description of your problem and you seem to have done all the right things to diagnose it. So it's even more of a mystery.

Are there any .htaccess files in your site, maybe for password protection or hotlink protection? A .htaccess file in a parent directory will usually affect all its children.

It does look like something changed on the server but it's still a puzzle why it's only triggered by new or updated galleries. When you create a new gallery, the permissions on the new gallery folder and contents are set by the server. What permissions are they getting? In recent versions of svManager you can override these permissions in the includes/constants.php file (if the server will allow svManager to do it).

I'm not surprised that the DEBUG setting isn't helping – it's only intended to help with php errors. I am surprised that the server is apparently returning a 500 error but there is nothing in the server log. Are we talking an error log here or a detailed transaction log that shows every http request?

The other puzzle is that you can upload from svmTest. Is this the latest version of svmTest? If it's an older version then please try the latest but don't throw the old one away – it may be a vital clue.

The current version of svmTest writes java errors to the java console log on your local computer. In svManager itself, logging is off by default but you can turn it on in includes/constants.php. Change this setting to true.

define('JAVA_CONSOLE_LOG', false);

In IE8, the Java Console can be started by right-clicking on the Java icon in the system tray/notification area while you are on a page with some Java content. In earlier versions of IE the console can be started in Menu bar > Tools -> Sun Java Console. In Mac it's applications > Utilities > Java > Java Preferences > Advanced tab.

And I think I already know the answer to this but it's the same in all browsers – right?

jack

Jack Hardie
SimpleViewer Support Team.