Topic: SimpleViewer Colors Don't Match Lightroom Colors

On my Mac, the colors I get from the copy of SimpleViewer provided with Lightroom don't match the colors I see in Lightroom, or in other applications for that matter (e.g. Safari, Preview). The colors are washed out and the images are brighter than in Lightroom.

Examining the images that Lightroom output to the SimpleViewer project, I see that they are all in sRGB, so that should all be good. These same images look great when displayed in other apps, so I know there's nothing wrong with the images in the project folder. I would think that even if the SimpleViewer weren't doing color management, the sRGB images would still look fairly decent.

I have the latest version of the Flash 10 plugin installed.

What am I doing wrong? Is this a known limitation of the free version? Does the Pro version handle colors better?

Thanks,
Mort54

Re: SimpleViewer Colors Don't Match Lightroom Colors

The pro version would show colors the same this is a simpleviewer issue, but a flash/safari issue.

FAQ #28

Why do my image colors look different in SimpleViewer versus Safari?

Image colors may appear washed-out in SimpleViewer compared to the same image in Safari. This is caused by the fact that color profiles are handled differently in Safari versus Flash. To make the image look the same in Flash and Safari save your images using the sRGB color profile. In PhotoShop, use 'Save for Web'. Uncheck 'Embed Color Profile' and check 'Convert to sRGB'.

http://www.airtightinteractive.com/simp … r/faq.html

Mike Richards
SimpleViewer Support Team.

As I said in my original post, my images are in the sRGB color space.  Faq 28 isn't addressing the same problem I'm seeing.

My images look rich and vibrant in Safari, Lightroom, Photoshop, Preview, IE, Firefox, PowerPoint (Mac and PC versions), Pages, Keynote, and others. It's only in SimpleViewer that the colors look washed out. This isn't a Safari issue, it's a SimpleViewer issue.

My question is - how do I get my images to look as rich and vibrant in SimpleViewer as they do in all my other apps?

By the way, I'm also seeing the same problem in the latest version of FLEX FLASH Builder, so I'm beginning to think this is a FLASH shortcoming rather than just a SimpleViewer issue, even tho Adobe claims Flash 10 fully supports color management.

As it stands right now, SimpleViewer is unuseable unless I can figure out how to get it to show colors properly. I can't believe I'm the first person to see this. What's the solution?

I've opened my SimpleViewer slide show in Firefox and Opera now, as well as in Safari, and in each case the images are washed out. I repeat - this isn't a Safari issue. It's either a SimpleViewer issue, or a Flash issue. I'll try this on my Windows PC tomorrow at work to see if the issue is unique to the Mac or if it occurs on PCs as well.

I don't use Macs. In both Linux and Winblows the color looks the same in lightroom as it does on my site. How did it look on windows at your work?

Mike Richards

Hi,

this is a flash issue. I think the newest versions of Firefox and Opera handle color profiles but Flash does not (neither does IE which the majority of users are using).

So, the safest solution is to save your images with the sRGB color profile. Check the FAQ Q28.

Flash 10 does support color profiles and this feature will be added to a future version of SimpleViewer.

Felix Turner