Topic: Missing images & thumbs in SV-Pro

I've made 2 galleries with SV-Pro & one has missing images.

Gallery 1 - 9 images (only the first image is visible - thumbnail & main image)

Gallery 2 - 18 images (all are visible)

When I view Gallery 1, by clicking on index.html, Safari tells me there are 16 errors: 8 images & 8 thumbs are missing. However, the 8 images & 8 thumbs are in their respective folders and when I view the viewer.swf in Flash CS3, all of the images & thumbs are there.

Also, I've made both galleries the same way and both have the same customizations and code.

Re: Missing images & thumbs in SV-Pro

if you have the galleries up online would you please post a url.

Mike Richards
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Currently, I am unable to upload them online since I can't figure out how to embed each gallery into its separate page in Dreamweaver CS3. I've attempted to follow the instructions, but they are vague and don't offer much help. Also, I searched the FAQ and online forum, but that doesn't help either. I've see references to a FAQ 16, but i can't find that either.

Also,

"Note for Dreamweaver Users:

SimpleViewer uses SWFObject to embed the SWF. SWFObject is an industry standard way to embed flash content that handles Flash player detection and upgrade prompts. Using the default Flash embed method in Dreamweaver will not work, since the config options that are set in the Javascript will be ignored."

Well, if this doesn't work in DW, then how about adding a link or additional information that shows the proper way to accomplish this.

Well, if this doesn't work in DW, then how about adding a link or additional information that shows the proper way to accomplish this.

I updated the docs to be clearer: "To make SimpleViewer work you need to use the embed method described above. Using Dreamweaver's Insert -> Media -> SWF method will cause SimpleViewer to break."

I've see references to a FAQ 16, but i can't find that either.

http://www.simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/faq.html - scroll down to question 16.

Felix Turner

Thanks for posting more clearer text on how you will break Simple Viewer if you use the Dreamweaver flash embed method.

Yet, that did not answer my questions or help me in figuring out what I need to do.

16: How do I create multiple galleries?

To create multiple SimpleViewer galleries, make a copy of the whole SimpleViewer gallery folder for each gallery.

By "whole SimpleViewer gallery folder" are you referring to the folder initially downloaded when purchased or to the 2 separate folders that I created when I made both galleries?

Also, I don't want or need a menu page to navigate both galleries, as stated in FAQ #16. I already have a menu bar set up to accomplish this. I would like to embed one gallery into one page and the second gallery into a separate page in DW CS3. Can you provide detailed instructions on how to do this? The "view this example" page just doesn't cut it.

The easiest way to do multiple galleries is to have a folder for each gallery that has all of the required files and a index page or menu pointing to them. If you want to have a "menu page" that's fine just move the contents of one of the folders to your base directory have that gallery load as the site index and have a link to your other gallery.

each folder should have:
image folder
thumbnail folder
gallery.xml
index.html
swfobject.js
viewer.swf

This is the base code I use for my pages, you should easily be able to edit this in with dreamweaver to add what ever content you need.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http&#58;//www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http&#58;//www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml&#58;lang="en" lang="en">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<title>Simpleviewer Gallery</title>
<script type="text/javascript" src="swfobject.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="swfaddress.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript"> 
            var flashvars = &#123;&#125;;
            flashvars.firstImageIndex = "0";
            var params = &#123;&#125;;
            params.play = "true";
            params.menu = "false";
            params.quality = "best";
            params.scale = "noscale";
            params.allowfullscreen = "false";
            params.allowScriptAccess = "sameDomain";
            params.swLiveConnect = "true";
            var attributes = &#123;&#125;;
            attributes.id = "galleryContent";
            swfobject.embedSWF&#40;"viewer.swf", "galleryContent", "880", "560", "8.0.0", false, flashvars, params, attributes&#41;;
</script>
<style type="text/css" media="screen">
    object &#123; outline&#58;none; &#125;
</style>
</head>
<body>
<div id="galleryContent">
    <p>In order to view these galleries you must have <a href="http&#58;//www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash">Adobe Flash Player</a> installed. 
    If you know that you have Flash installed, then please ensure JavaScript and/or Active Content are enabled.</p>
</div>
</body>
</html>
Mike Richards

Thanks for providing your code, but just like the "view these examples", this does not help. In fact, it confuses me more. I really appreciate the help, but please try to answer my previous questions.

FAQ 16: How do I create multiple galleries?

To create multiple SimpleViewer galleries, make a copy of the whole SimpleViewer gallery folder for each gallery.

By "whole SimpleViewer gallery folder" are you referring to the folder initially downloaded when purchased or to the 2 separate folders that I created when I made both galleries?

Again, what does "whole" exactly mean here? Is it the folder initially downloaded when purchased, inside my applications folder? Or is it each individual gallery folder? I have copied and placed these folders into the proper place in DW and of course, they both have the required elements that you described. Yet, the only thing that appears is the text "SimpleViewer requires JavaScript and Flash. Get Flash Here."

Here is the link to galleries.

www foortography com/gallery1.html

Please take a look and tell me what I need to do.

where did you place your gallery.xml file? it doesn't seem to be in the same directory as your gallery.html

Mike Richards

Both gallery xml files are in the root folder which also contains gallery1  html & gallery2  html. I looked at the code for the example for multiple galleries again and I noticed that I don't have this section of code;

<script type="text/javascript">

var fo = new SWFObject&#40;"viewer.swf", "viewer", "100%", "100%", "8", "#181818"&#41;;

// SIMPLEVIEWER CONFIGURATION OPTIONS
        // To use an option, uncomment it by removing the "//" at the start of the line
        // For a description of config options, go to&#58; 
        // www airtightinteractive com/simpleviewer/options html

//fo.addVariable&#40;"xmlDataPath", "gallery &#91;dot&#93; xml"&#41;;
        //fo.addVariable&#40;"firstImageIndex", "5"&#41;;    
        //fo.addVariable&#40;"langOpenImage", "Open Image in New Window"&#41;;
        //fo.addVariable&#40;"langAbout", "About"&#41;;    
        //fo.addVariable&#40;"preloaderColor", "0xFFFFFF"&#41;;

fo.write&#40;"flashcontent"&#41;;    
    </script>

Is this the code that I'm missing? Also, how will this code not overwrite the gallery2 [dot] xml? Is there a way to differentiate them? For example, could I just rename the xml files to gallery1 [dot] xml & gallery2 [dot] xml?

If you have 2 gallery xml files in the same directory then, by necessity, they will have to be called different names but this is not a problem, as long as the xmlDataPath variable points to the correct file for each gallery.

However, as miker has noted, there is no sign of a gallery.xml file (or viewer.swf or swfobject.js) in your root directory.
As there is no xmlDataPath specified in either gallery1.html or gallery2.html, then both galleries will be looking for a file called 'gallery.xml' in the current directory.  (This is the default action.)
What you could do is call one xml file gallery1.xml and the other gallery2.xml.  Upload them both into the root alongside gallery1.html and gallery2.html.
Then, in your gallery1.html file, put:

fo.addVariable&#40;"xmlDataPath", "gallery1.xml"&#41;;

before:

... and in gallery2.html, put:

fo.addVariable&#40;"xmlDataPath", "gallery2.xml"&#41;;

before:

For the gallery to function correctly (with the relative paths as they are in your html files presently) you'll need to upload viewer.swf and swfobject.js to the root so that they reside at:
www.foortography.com/viewer.swf and
www.foortography.com/swfobject.js respectively.

Both galleries can share these files and, being that gallery1.html and gallery2.html are in the same folder, the relative links to these files from both html files will be the same.

Steven Speirs

Thank you monkeyboy, that helped a lot.

So I have everything in place now, but I'm back to the original issue;

Gallery 1 - 9 images (only the first image is visible - thumbnail & main image)

Gallery 2 - 18 images (all are visible)

Can I see the images in the gallery1 folder, but they are not loading for whatever reason.

According to your gallery1.xml file, all but the first filename have the # character in them (eg. Untitled#1.jpg).
Rename your images and change the <filename> references in gallery1.xml.
I'd stick to alphanumeric characters only (a-z, 0-9) when renaming your images.  Using the # character could well be the cause of your problems.

Steven Speirs

I got rid of # by renaming my images and that worked. Thanks, I appreciate it!