Topic: Gallery still not loading, we thought it fixed but its not

Hi all,

I am still having trouble with the first gallery when you enter my site. When you first go there you get the message "no gallery found" but after refreshing the page or going to another gallery everything works . It is still happening in Safari and Firefox 3.5.

I have corrected what we thought were the problems with in the gallery1.xml but that did not seem to totally correct the issue. I checked this validator.w3.org Here is the link there and it passed with a 2 of warnings but no errors.

I then tried it with out any opening page and got the same validation as the above heres the link for that test

I also tested the xhtml for both and the passed Here is the link for that

Here is a link to my site

Does any one have any ideas why this is going on? Thanks for any help.

Re: Gallery still not loading, we thought it fixed but its not

Hi all,

I just retested the site and it seems that it is kind of like a hit and miss thing. Closing and reopening the browsers everything loads like it should about a 1/3 of the time.

Just thought I'd add this update.

Any ideas? Thanks for any help.

On about line 29 try removing -->

Mike Richards
SimpleViewer Support Team.

HI miker,

Unfortunately that did not work. Could it be something inherent with the multiple gallery set up? As apposed to using the normal set up where you have an xhtml or html page for each gallery. The site I had up before this one was using that method and I and no problems with that one.

Thanks again for the help.

Shouldn't be anything to do with multiple gallery setup.  The page is working fine in firefox, but not in IE this tends to lead me to believe it's a html/css or gallery.xml error. But as you said every thing is validating...

Some of your image names are kind of funky, they might be throwing SimpleViewer or IE for a loop. Not sure how they feels about underscores or '.' in the image name.

_MG_3013.jpg
K.Swing.jpg

I would stick to image names that are alphanumeric only, such as yourImageName1.jpg.

Also seeing multi_gal v2.swf I would try as much as possible to leave spaces out of file names for web use sometimes they make things angry.

Other then that I have no opinion. wink

Mike Richards

Hi,

I went in and changed the names on all images as well as the gallery swf file, and tested it several times and everything works great in Firefox and Safari. 

Then I went and tested it this morning in Safari loads great then in FF "no gallery found" came up I then closed FF and opened it up again and it loaded great.

Every night I dump my cache file that FF makes and this morning after it loaded fine in FF I closed it and dumped the cache file and bam "no gallery found" in FF so it has to do with the cache file that it makes in FF.

for giggles and kicks try changing:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" />

to:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
Mike Richards

Hi miker,

I changed that code but it did not change anything. It has something to do with the cache handling that FF does. For some reason you can close FF and not dump the cache open it again and the site loads fine and if you do all that and dump the cache it will not load. Does that sound right?

Thanks for your help.

Could you setup a test page using the multiple_galleries.swf found in simpleviewer_proexamplesFlash Embed and the viewer.swf you are using with your site?

Mike Richards

Hi miker,

OK here is the link to the test

Thanks again for the help.

Hmm that seems to be doing the same thing... Did you make any changes to the viewer.swf?

Mike Richards

Hi miker,

The only changes I made was to the thumb nail size from 65 to 60 and the thumb frame and paging arrows to black using this 0x000000. Other than that no changes.

I wonder if some how it got corrupted.

Try republishing it and see if that helps...

Mike Richards

Hi miker,

That made no difference at all this is crazy :shock: It seems to be acting the same way in both Safari and FF it does not load and also it seems very random on loading; there are times when I have tested it and it works fine, and then I am on another site for awhile it will not load. UGH, this is driving me mad roll and I' sure you to. It just does not make since. The only thing that has not been changed at this point it the multiple gallery swf but once it loads it is fine. The changes I made in the viewer were very minor. I wonder if my version of pro v1.9 is freaky/corrupted?

Thanks for your help.

If you put up the viewer that came with the download does it work?

Mike Richards

Hi miker,

Using the original viewer does not work ether. Now the site is not loading in both FF and Safari.  :? Unless you reload the page or hit one of the gallery link buttons.

Very strange.

Ok now I think I might know the issue... what FTP software are you using?

Mike Richards

Hi miker,

I am using Fetch v4.03

Ahh Ha! Fetch does not always play nice with swfs... try another ftp app like Filezilla and re-upload your site.

4. My images show locally, but not when I upload them to my webserver. What are possible problems?

Check your image paths and filenames exactly match the names specified in the XML file. Most servers are Case Sensitive. This means the letter cases in the filename must exactly match those in the XML document (for example ".jpg" is not the same as ".JPG").

Another possible problem is if your webserver has  'Hotlink Protection' enabled. Hotlink Protection breaks SimpleViewer. Check with your webserver administrator.

Yet another possible problem is if you are using 'Fetch' to upload your files. Older versions of Fetch break SWFs on upload. Upgrade Fetch or use a different FTP app.

http://www.simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/faq.html

Mike Richards

Hi miker,

I re-uploaded the site using Filezilla and got the same results. I then thought I would try my v1.8 multiple gallery with a couple of my images and the viewer that I have been using. I closed FF dumped the cache reopened FF went to  my site and got the "gallery not found" message then I went to the v1.8 test and it loaded the first time no problems. Closed FF dumped the cache and did the same order as above my site did not load and the v1.8 loaded no problem. So I am thinking that it is my copy of v1.9 that is the problem.

What do you think?

Thanks again for all your help.

If that's what you think the issue is I would try downloading 1.9 again.

Mike Richards

Hi miker,

OK I downloaded an new v1.9 and uploaded using Fillezilla the stock multiple gallery Here is the link. I get the same message of "no gallery found". So I am now thinking it is the multi-gallery.swf 

Because I then uploaded the stock regular SV gallery Here is that gallery and it loaded first time no problem at all.

So there must be some thing with the mutli.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks for any all of your help.

you uploaded the multi-gallery example untouched and it didn't work?

Mike Richards

HI miker,

The link in the post just above is to that gallery. It is just straight form the newly un-zipped SV Pro v1.9 no changes at all. And there is still that "gallery not found message. I used Filezilla to uploaded it also.

Here is the link to the untouched multi-gallery

Thanks for the help with this long drawn out issue.

running out of ideas... Can you connect to your host with SFTP? At one point my host's firewall was eating my file in a similar way as fetch can and connecting via SFTP fixed that.

It is strange that 1.85 would work fine and 1.9 would not even after downloading a new copy. This would lead me to guess it's not a firewall issue. I'll have to try and think about it, unless someone else has a suggestion.

Mike Richards