Topic: Fail to get non english charachters to work in SV Pro

I want to be able to use the characters å, ä and ö in SV.

Currently these special characters are replaced with squares.

I looked in the FAQ, which told me to change the xml encoding to UTF-8. I did that, and the special characters are replaced with squares. And if I put one of these characters just before the </caption> tag, so will the rest of the gallery not load. (I also tried to replace the UTF-8 with ISO-8859-1, as that's what I use to put out these characters on the web page, result is the same.)

Also, replacing å with &aring; don't help me either.

I noticed that there come with a font file in the source files. This font don't have the characters I need, if this is the reason, can anyone please tell me how to change the font?

Re: Fail to get non english charachters to work in SV Pro

5. SimpleViewer-Pro FAQ

4. How do I change the caption font?

* Open \source\simpleviewer.fla using Macromedia Flash.
    * Do Window->Library to show the Library.
    * Open the 'Text' folder. Edit the 'Caption' and 'Title' symbols.
    * Select the text field on the stage. Select a font from the Properties-> Font drop-down menu. To use an embedded font, slect 'Anti-Alias for Animation' from the 'Use device fonts' drop-down. Then select the required character range in the 'Character Embedding' menu. For basic english language, select the 'Basic Latin' character set.
    * Note that if you require bold and/or italic fonts, you must also embed these versions of the fonts.

http://www.simpleviewer.net/simpleviewe … ation.html

Mike Richards
SimpleViewer Support Team.

By default, SimpleViewer uses the _sans system font which includes all glyphs for all languages. So there is no need to embed a font, unless you want to use a custom font.

When you say you changed the XML encoding, how did you do that?

Felix Turner

Felix wrote:

By default, SimpleViewer uses the _sans system font which includes all glyphs for all languages. So there is no need to embed a font, unless you want to use a custom font.

When you say you changed the XML encoding, how did you do that?

I mean that I changed the encoding attribute in the xml file at line 1.

This line:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

[hr]
I also followed the steps miker posted, I managed to change the font to Arial, and in the character embedding menu, so embedded I all sets with no luck.

Although that makes sense it actually doesn't change the encoding. You need to do it in your text editor. Check the FAQ, Q6: http://www.simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/faq.html

Felix Turner

Felix wrote:

Although that makes sense it actually doesn't change the encoding. You need to do it in your text editor. Check the FAQ, Q6: http://www.simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/faq.html

I always thought I did the right thing, tongue
Just read the answer wrong.

That solved my problem, thanks alot smile