Topic: Image Resizing: Down Scaling vs Dynamic Resizing

hola SimpleViewer users -

due to the control i need over the layout of SV i have chosen to turn on down scaling. in doing so it turns off dynamic resizing (as noted in the Options.as file). i have the control over the layout of SV like im after but the images look force re-sized. in other words they are looking a bit gritty like photo clarity has been compromised.

am i missing a step to maintain image quality or is it a compromise i should expect when choosing to use down scaling? if there are some additional settings to adjust to ensure optimal photo regeneration please advise.

P -

Re: Image Resizing: Down Scaling vs Dynamic Resizing

This can happen with the scale down, you could try higher quality images, but I'm not sure how much that would help.

Mike Richards
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Are you setting the 'fixedLayout' option to true? If yes, check your actual JPG dimensions match the 'imageAreaWidth' and 'imageAreaHeight' dimensions in the Pro options. If no, check your actual JPG dimensions match the 'maxImageWidth' and 'maxImageHeight' dimensions in the XML options.

You can also try setting 'useSmoothing' to false.

Felix Turner

mike & Felix thanks for responding -

i was confused when explaining my situation in the original post. however my image output issue is still the same.

images look force re-sized. in other words they are looking a bit gritty like photo clarity has been compromised.

thanks for being patient with this post. below shows how the Options.as and actual images are being managed.

--------------------------------------
OPTIONS
//General
fixedLayout:Boolean = true;
useSmoothing:Boolean = false;

//Main Image
enableImageDownScaling:Boolean = true;

//Fixed Layout Positions
imageAreaWidth:Number = 358;
imageAreaHeight:Number = 270;

//XML Options Overrides
maxImageWidth:Number = null;
maxImageHeight:Number = null;

ACTUAL IMAGES
actual images are larger than the 358x270 i have specified. they are of varying sizes (all larger than 358x270). i understand that if images are optimized to meet layout dimensions quality would clear up. just wondering if SV had a way of dynamically down sizing images on the fly and i was missing the setting(s).

fyi i am using picasa web albums to manage my images and PicasaViewer for SimpleViewer.

feel like im pushing some boundaries here. SimpleViewer capabilities have surprised me more than once so just giving this a shot. have i done all i can to ensure optimal photo regeneration under my circumstances?

thanks for your time,

P -

Images that are downscaled to fit a smaller image area may look reduced quality. Try setting 'useSmoothing' to true or making your images smaller to match the image area.

Felix Turner