Topic: WHY do my images look like crap?

I have successfully used SV1.3 for years, however, Flash 10 ruined my current galleries so I had to upgrade and so went with SV manager...as it had the new SV

http://automotophoto.com/pics/g75/

Check out this gallery, images are native either 610 by 407 or 407 by 610 depening on orientation..

I just spent the entire day rebulding my site and the images just don't render the same way they used to on SV1.3 (with the SV admin of old)

What setting do I need to plug in to make them sharp please?

Any help would be so appreciated.

Thank you so much.

Andrew

Re: WHY do my images look like crap?

Your images are being downsized to fit the maxImageWidth and maxImageHeight you specified in the gallery.xml. Change that to 610 and you should be good.

Felix Turner
SimpleViewer Support Team.

Hey Felix

Thanks for the quick reply.

Okay, I can do that but if I choose to make Max image width, px: 610 (the size of the image in landscape) then it kinda fuzzies up the portrait version...as I have mixed portrait and landscape images within each gallery it doesn't like one way or the other unless I'm just being dense!!

The old SV only had (using it via SV Admin - the old program) maxImageDimension and I simply used 610 and that worked for both portrait and landscape...

Another example, i you go to this gallery and click on the last image in the first thumbnail column it looks kinda soft

http://automotophoto.com/pics/g75/

...and actually is marginally smaller than the original for some reason.

If you go to the direct file:

http://automotophoto.com/pics/g75/image … LW_011.jpg

It's fine.  However, if you move the browser window the images either tighten up or soften, this never happened in SV1.3.

So is there some way to prevent the browser causing the image degradation?

Any help is most appreciated...

Andrew

Anyone?

How can I stop the main window resizing the main image?  In the old Simpleviewer (1.3) which I think was not only simpler but didn't mess around with the images as this version does...

I just want my galleries to work as they did before and the images looked fine....

Anyone?

SimpleViewer Pro has an option to prevent resizing, this can be done by setting enableImageDownScaling to false in the Options.as file.

http://www.simpleviewer.net/simpleviewe … tions.html

Mike Richards

miker wrote:

SimpleViewer Pro has an option to prevent resizing, this can be done by setting enableImageDownScaling to false in the Options.as file.

http://www.simpleviewer.net/simpleviewe … tions.html

Cool!  Thank you for the reply Mike!  I like those options!!

So my next question is I purchased SV Manager which of course contains the basic SV. I certainly do not have a problem purchasing the upgrade/Pro but how do I upgrade SV in the SV manager program?

is it straightforward?

Yay!! My odyssey might be over soon..

Please let me know!

Andrew

When you download simplevierwer pro make any change you need to make republish the flash. This will give a new copy of the viewer.swf, just upload this new copy replacing the old copy that SVManager uses. Please note in order to make the pro changes you need a copy of flash pro. You can get a 30 day trial form their site, after the 30 days are up you would have purchase flash pro if you want to make additional changes. You can continue to use the changes you have made after the trial has ended.

Mike Richards

Okay, I can do that but if I choose to make Max image width, px: 610 (the size of the image in landscape) then it kinda fuzzies up the portrait version...as I have mixed portrait and landscape images within each gallery it doesn't like one way or the other unless I'm just being dense!!

Not be a problem. Set both the max width and max height to 610. SV will only resize images bigger than the max image dimensions.

Felix Turner

Felix wrote:

Not be a problem. Set both the max width and max height to 610. SV will only resize images bigger than the max image dimensions.

Hi Felix!

I found this isn't the case.  As I mentioned originally, in the galleries I have images that are 610x407, and then 407x610 and if you look at the images they're all mushy (I posted a link to the original image for a comparison), either way...if I scrunch the browser window I can *make* them sharp but whereas in the old simpleviewer I had those dimensions and never had a problem (maybe some of the fonts went a little fuzzy on the images but aside from that the images always looked perfectly fine - I have the old links to the old galleries but it's telling me to upgrade my flash which caused the problem in the first place!).  The closest I could get in the constraint windows was to set them at something like 599x599 but ti still didn't replicate the sharp images I have uploaded...

Mike and Felix, thank you for taking the time to help.  I'll try what you suggest and see what happens!

I'm gonna guess the frame width of .5 is causing the fuzziness. Try setting it to an integer value.

Felix Turner

Felix wrote:

I'm gonna guess the frame width of .5 is causing the fuzziness. Try setting it to an integer value.

Hey Felix,

Thanks for the reply, what would you suggest?  I always had this on the "old" SV as it worked okay.  Should I go 0 or 1 perhaps?

Andrew

OMG, that was it...

THANK YOU!!!  Fixed, and happy..

Although I'll still most likely buy pro simply to support you, as I have loved the product for years.

Andrew